Have you ever gotten a jury duty letter?

I did maybe a year ago and I ignored it...nothing happened. But today I got another one. I don't want to get in trouble for ignoring it, especially a second time...but I can not do this! I have severe social anxiety disorder....just thinking about having to do this is causing a panic attack! Not to mention that I have no way of getting to and from the court house or someone to watch my son. Have you ever ignored one? Any suggestions?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 8:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Just for Fun

• If you have medical documentation of your anxiety disorder, take it to the courthouse before the date you are supposed to appear. You can get yourself permanently taken off the list of prospective jurors if there's a medical reason why you can't serve. I didthis because a blind person isn't allowed to be on a jury since there's usually evidence that has to be examined visually, and I kept getting letters and having to appear and then be excused right away, which was very inconvenient. So I got my name taken out of the pool.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Ignore it enough times they'll issue a bench warrant and you'll go to jail if you get pulled over for a traffic violation. Deal with it, and talk to a doctor for an excuse if you have a legitimate medical issue that prevents you from serving.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• If you have a small child the you can be excused. I called the Jury Duty office (I found the number in the phone book). I explained that I have a small child to care for. So the lady told me to make a copy of my childs birth certificate & send it with a note saying that I am the primary caregiver for my child  & send it back with the jury questionnaire. If you don't get a letter back then you are excused. I did this twice for both my kids.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• You can't ignore them. I understand your anxiety but you most respond. If your anxiety is this strong talk to a doctor about writing the court about it. Good luck.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I'm going through a similar situation right now I am scheduled for jury duty in 2 weeks and my DH is having surgery on his back 2 days before I am scheduled and have nobody to watch DH & DD. I tried to explain the situation to the jury duty office but I still have to appear hopefully you have better luck.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I've only ever gotten one once, and by that point it was a mistake because I was no longer a resident of that county. I haven't received a jury summons in over 10 years now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I begin my 2 weeks in April. I have to call in at 8 am and if my number is called I have one hour to be there.
    As a SAHM who has never engaged a sitter (for this child) I am in a blind panic.
    SO or teen may have to stay home from work/ school and watch the baby. But better for us to all suffer this seemingly small inconvenience than suffer me being put in jail and or paying massive fines.

You make it work because the consequences of not making it work are much greater.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• my best friend got one and she called and told them she was pregnant and due any day they told her not to worry about it sadly she was never pregnant but it got her out of it
    katehaydensmom

Answer by katehaydensmom at 11:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• ^^ depends on the county (sadly)
    My county only allows BF mommas to be excused during the first 12 months of the child's life. Get summoned during month 13 and you're SOL.
    And if you aren't a BF momma, you don't even get that long.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Nope. Never. Wish I would. Anyone I know who has been says it's fun!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2013