If you are Christian, when and how did you start explaining the reason for Easter to your children?

For this question, I'm particularly interested in the Christian perspective because it involves my daughter, who is five, and a specific situation. She's been going to church all of her life. She knows who God and Jesus are, and that we take Communion every week to remember Jesus by. But I haven't gone into the deeper and yes, more disturbing, aspects of Jesus's death and return to life. Then yesterday, we saw someone carrying a cross down the street, and a crowd of people who were acting angry, yelling at the man and pretending to hit him. It was some kind of a Catholic procession for Palm Sunday, I guess, which went by while we were waiting in the car outside a store. She aske me who that was carrying the cross, and I told her it was someone pretending to be Jesus in a play. She asked if people were mean to Jesus, and I said yes, some were. She wanted to know why. I told her there are mean people, like some of the kids who haven't been nice to her at school, and some of them didn't like Jesus. Again, she wanted to know why, which was a hard question to answer in terms a five-year-old would have any hope of understanding.

So, when and how did you approach this with your kids?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I Googled, "children's bible, Easter"

This is the only one I opened. It has bright drawings and seems really kid friendly. It touches on the crucifixion but focuses more on the why.

If I were you I would definitely search for a children's version of the story. Of course we watched the Mel Gibson version of the story- but we like zombies too :)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• My son is five. We've explained that Jesus taught about God and love. We've explained that Jesus died on a cross because some people didn't like what he was teaching and that we're meant to remember those teachings when we think of the cross or celebrate Easter. I haven't really gone into it much more than that because I want to wait until he's old enough to really be able to talk about things, but because DH and I are Christian and he sees me reading about Jesus, wearing cross necklaces, etc, I wanted to give him at least a very basic foundation that I can build on later. Of course, part of why I'm waiting is because I want him to choose for himself, and therefore be old enough to really consider the information, instead of just absorbing it because "Mommy/Daddy/preacherman says," if you get what I mean. I'm trying to lay the most basic foundation I can so that later I can go in all the different directions I'll need to.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• We just always read the Easter story, and the story of Palm Sunday from their Bible Story Books from the time they were little, so they always knew the reason for Easter.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• We started reading about the Passover out of the kids' children's Bible. We've been reading to them after dinner and keeping it age appropriate. We will end the week with the Easter story but will keep the more violent details out until they are older, concentrating on Jesus's empty tomb and His appearance to the apostles and the ascension.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• We have a children's book that tells of the Easter story that we have read to DD since her first Easter with us...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Our kids were always involved in Church. Since I directed children's choir and many of the plays that were done and also sang in the adult choir and did plays with our group there were very much exposed.
    For many years of thieir lives they were in the passion plays simply because DH and I were. DD was an infant in her first one so for them it came naturally. The explainations were in story and song form and in the classes they took throughout the year.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• i explained it in detail to my daughter last year, she knew about like what your dd does up until then, just read the niv bible to her and explained things if she asked (she was 5) she is pretty mature and smart for her age
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I have explained all this to my son who is 6 now... It is definitely children need to know as they get older. It is fact... Jesus did have to suffer and die, but the good news is that He did not stay dead... He did rise from the dead. To give us hope and eternal life... Children need to be taught from a young age. They will need the chance to be saved also in a few years.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• She knows that Jesus died and returned to life. I just hadn't really gone into how the death happened, or why anyone would have wanted it to happen.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2013