New Zealand mom leaves a note on child

Snoozing baby left with note, everyone feels bad for mom 12 hrs ago A New Zealand mother learned an important "Child Care 101" lesson (we hope) on Saturday when worried folks gathered around her car and read the note she'd placed on her sleeping newborn, tucked into the car seat and locked inside. "My mum's in doing the shopping, call her if I need anything," the note read (it also listed the mom's cellphone number). Rather than calling the authorities, the bystanders felt sorry for the mother and called her instead. "As parents ourselves we know it is hard to get a baby to sleep, and once you start moving them they can wake up," said one man. "We thought it was just a silly decision by a tired mother."

Source

I can understand being tempted, but to actually do it? Terrible idea!!! I am shocked no one called the authorities, if for no other reason to give that mom a wake up call on what could really happen.

tessiedawg

Asked by tessiedawg at 9:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• Thank god that kid was ok. I am sorry, but how stupid can some people be. I would have called the authorities!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I've been a tired mother with two small children and a baby....and NEVER left my child alone. I would also have called the police.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• she should be charged with neglect. i have three kids and at one point they were only ages 3, 1, and newborn and ive had to take them all shopping tired, sick, etc. you just dont take risks like that if you're a good mother.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• A tired mother with no other options.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Better than what some Americans would do

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• The first one is shocking; Feral's link is even more so. I'm not Supermom, by any means, but it never would have even for one second crossed my mind to leave a sleeping child of any age, much less an infant, in a car while I went into a store to shop.

It oesn't surprise me though, that nobody seemed to stop and notice the baby in Feral's link. My ex husband fell off the edge of a curb in his electric wheelchair once and tipped over into a busy street at the entrance to a Wal-Mart parking lot. He landed on his face and cut himself, with the chair on top of him. It took me ages to get anybody to stop and help me move the chair, which there was no way I could lift by myself, and that was in the days before cell phones and MP3 players were common.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• i would bet that the same situation would not have ended the same IF this happened in the US
    stupid woman
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I would have called the police on here. Let them call her.

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• did you ever see this one?
    (happy)

or this one?
    (sad)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• NEVER! I would never leave a baby alone in a car like that.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2013