Pure bred husky female,a few questions

1) I got her from a friend,she was born in that home. She is now 3YO. She jumps regular fences. Is that normal or just her? That is why she was rehomed.
2)Breeding,we have the option. I do not want her just for that reason,she is a family dog. Is it a good idea? If we choose this how many times should we do it?
any other advice welcome,Thanks in advance

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 10:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Pets

• no one wants dogs.. why would you make more dogs when there are so many running the streets and getting put to sleep everyday. some people get them bc they are so cute and puppies then they dont want them when they get older. You dont know what happens to the dogs once they are sold and gone. so breeding in my opinion is not a good idea. jumping the fence is normal for a lot of dogs. some dig their way out too.
    Anonymous

• Huskies are notorious roamers and fence jumpers. It's in their nature.

As to breeding, if you're going to do it, educate yourself very well first. There's a lot that goes into it. Waiting at least one heat cycle, preferably two or more, between pregnancies is recommended. You have to find out the health history of the female you have, and of any potential males for her, and match them to avoid problems. A lot of purebred dogs have been overbred so that there are health issues. One of particular importance in huskiesis early spinal degeneration. Plus, huskies don't make good pets for everyone, so you'd have to be very particular about the homes you le the puppies go to. Huskies are extremely smart and need a lot of attention or they'll get lonely, and then they're prone to howling. They need regular coat care or they become shedding machines.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• We are on our #3 and #4 female Siberian Huskies. Beautiful dogs, but as I tell anyone who approaches and says "Oh, I they are so gorgeous, I want one" they are certainly NOT for everyone.

Although they have a strong pack mentality, they are very independent. They do not live to please you as many other breeds do. And they are awesome escape artists. I have known owners to go to drastic extremes to keep theirs in a fenced-in back yard. Luckily we have never had to do more than make sure there's not more than a couple inches of space at the bottom of the fence. But yes, that is VERY normal with Huskies.

If you do not know her background information, and I'm talking her parents, her parents' parents, and even further, then I would say DO NOT BREED!! Huskies are a hardy breed, but they do have heredity issues that you should not breed if it in the line. We have dealt personally with two of them...juvenile cataracts and seizures
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Here are our first two::

Kaiti & Nanook (although Kaiti was 1-1/2 years younger than Nanook and we got her from another breeder, turns out she was Nanook's mother's sister)

And our second two::

Kinzei & Shelbei (littermates)

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Here is Tinkerbell. Her original owner named her

RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Husky's like to run and they are good jumpers.
    Please have this dog fixed. If you are not a lisenced breeder it is irresponsible to breed a dog and sell the puppies.

Breading is knowing the dog bread and being dedicated to breeding the very best of the breed. To do that you have to go to shows and win, because no one is going to allow their winning stud to be aligned with a bitch that isn't. To get the best you breed the best and yu know how to care for them. There are so many puppies out thier dying in the streets and in dog pounds. Please do not make more just because you can. There are risks to both the bitch and stud in the breeding irtuals. There are more risks to the bitch in delivering the puppies. She will live a longer, healthier live and have less of a desire to roam if you have her spayed.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• they are good jumpers

Not that I'm saying this isn't true, but none of my Huskies could jump more than any other dog I've been around.

They are good runners though...and they run straight and they keep going. Once a Husky is loose, it is very difficult to get them back quickly. One of ours (Kaiti) got loose once and the only reason we were able to get her as quickly as we did (within minutes) is because a rabbit ran in front of her and she started chasing it.

...Speaking of which, Huskies have a very high prey drive. They have a tendency to kill smaller animals. Obviously rabbits and moles you have in your yard, but also cats. We have never had an issue (we had 7 indoor cats at one time with our first 2 Huskies), but I have known some who have. If you get a new smaller pet, SUPERVISE, SUPERVISE, SUPERVISE!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Completely Normal for a husky to jump fences.

My opinion on breeding is this: Unless you are willing to get all of the physical check ups on your dog (expensive) and making sure that your dog has all the breed requirements for a healthy dog, and the male you choose has had all the same physical check ups, All to better the breed, then you should not breed your dog. There are too many Pure Bred dogs in the pound, you yourself just said your dog was given to you because the person didn't want her because she jumps the fence, and no offence, but you do not even know enough about this dominant breed to know it is normal for them to jump fences and roam and wander. I am not trying to be rude, just trying to give my opinion on why you should NOT breed your dog. My Pure Bred German Shepherd is sitting in the corner recovery from her spay surgery right now.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2013