Transitioning baby to crib

Hello!
I am looking for tips on transitioning a baby to his/her crib.

My son is 6 months old and since he was a baby, he has slept really well in his swing for naps.
At night he still sleeps in his rock & play sleeper next to our bed, which I'm fine with because he loves it & is still usually getting up once a night, so I like him right next to us.

Our travel swing broke so we decided it might be a good time to move him to his crib for naps. He isn't interested. I remember with my older daughter we laid her on her side & she was ok, but he doesn't want to lay on his side (or his back). I've heard of people inclining the crib, so maybe that would be something to try. I've got a light up musical soother attached to the side of his crib, which he does like for a few minutes.

I just want to see if anyone has any ideas that we haven't thought of yet. Thank you!

tmp1283

Asked by tmp1283 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There ar these wedge things you can get to help keep a baby on his back and also keep him feeling more nested in a crib, the way he would feel in the rocker bed. A crib can be very vast to a small baby. Also, does he still let you swaddle him at all? My daughter did better in a crib when she wasn't free to kick her legs, even as an older baby. She'd kick and wake herself up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• It is no longer recommended you use things like the wedges or props because they pose a suffocation hazard. I use the Cry It Out method. He doesn't cry for very long, and he seems to actually be in a better mood these days when he has napped in his own room in his own bed rather than in the noisy living room.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I used my boppy nursing pillow around DD2's feet. NEVER HER HEAD, and I didn't leave the room until I took the boppy out but it made an easy change for her since she still felt cocooned like when in her swing, car set or rocker. I used the sleep n play rocker until she grew out of it at night. I loved it.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Oh and, since the boppy only lasted about a week, week and a half I laid her (and my older one) near the head board of the cribs but instead long like we sleep I laid them in the width so they didn't notice all the extra space so much.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Let the baby spend awake time in the crib. Play and be sweet to baby when you put him in. Get him used to being in there. A crib should have a fitted sheet and nothing else. Rock baby to sleep and put him in the crib. Keep your hands on him until he is asleep asleep. Most babies will wake up instantly when placed in the crib they are not used to sleeping it.

Cry it out method is not recommended for infants of that age. I strongly urge you not to let your baby cry.

It took me a couple weeks to get my baby to nap in the pack n play instead of the swing. Still working on the crib.

The incline to crib thing.. Only to be done when baby is congested and needs to sleep elevated to breathe. The item, usually a book or binder, is placed UNDERNEATH the crib mattress. Nothing under the baby.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I used classical music with my kids (we had a 60 minute classical lullabies CD). Start turning on the music when you rock him to sleep, put him in the swing to sleep, etc so he starts to associate that with sleep. Then start turning that on while you rock him in his room. Gradually you can start laying him down more and more awake as he gets used to it.

Answer by missanc at 6:39 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• If he is 6 months, he will roll into whatever position is comfortable anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2013