How much does your 8 year old boy weigh?

I have an 8 yr old son and I am a little concerned that he is underweight. I know that this is a side effect from the medications that he is on, but I was wondering where he fell in the "norm".

Crystallynn

Asked by Crystallynn at 2:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son just turned 8 in January and weighs 61 pounds.
    Anonymous

• My son turns 9 in March but when he turned 8 he was around 57 lbs and now hes around 60.

Answer by gemgem at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son turned eight in January and he weights 54 pounds. How much does your son weigh?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son is going to be 8 next week, and he weighs 48 lbs. I have been told that although it is on the low side of normal, he is within the normal range for his height. Check with his dr if you're concerned. My son looks very thin, and his school has tried to tell me that I am starving him and he is underweight. However, he eats like crazy, will eat a snack, a full plate at dinner, have seconds, and STILL want dessert afterward. My ex, his father, is the same way: very thin, looks underweight, but eats like a pig. The dr can tell you more definitely if he's within the norm, though, looking at height, weight, frame, genetics, everything.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son is 8 and weighs 53 lbs. He's on the skinny side but his Dr isn't concerned right now.
    Anonymous

• My son is 8. On the 4th march and he is about 56-60 lbs.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 5:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

•  My 8 yr old just turned 8 in Jan. and he is a whopping 52lbs... he is on the small side, but that is also bc of family genes on my side...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son is 7 (8 in October) and he weighs about 56lbs. He's always been on the big side but I think he is starting to slim down (he's getting taller but not putting on as much weight as he used to).
    My 8yo daughter is a runt. She's 4' tall and 40lbs soaking wet. She's 2" shorter then her brother and 16lbs lighter (he's been bigger then her since they were toddlers). She's the smallest kid in the 3rd grade, too, and is considered underweight but as long as she eats healthy I don't worry too much about it. Some people are just born to be skinny/short/small just as some, like me, are born to be bigger (it's genetic in my case...I've seen pictures of the women on my dad's side of the family...all big).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son just turned 5 and he's close to 50 pounds. I think it's because he's soooo tall. He's not overweight at all. I have him in size six pants and have to take them in a lot at the waist. I'm sure your son is fine. these kids grow on their own when they need too. What's most important is that they are healthy.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 3:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My older son turned 7 last month and weighs in at 43 pounds...and he's 46 inches tall! He's always been small--with a little belly!

Then my other son who turned 5 in December, weighs in at 62 pounds, BUT he is 49 inches tall!!! He's solid, not chubby/fat and wears size 7 pants--for length not width! It's amazing because they RARELY eat junk food...have yet to discover McDonald's/fast food or soda, and they eat pretty much the same types/amounts of food.

My pediatrician has estimated that my older son will just make it to 6 feet in height, whereas my younger son is estimated to reach the 6' 10" mark--based on their respective growth histories!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2009