3rd stage food?

My son is eating the 1st n some of 2nd stage foods. Hes 5months old. As of right now I feed him "super" with his baby food (with a bottle too obviousley! lol). I plan on feeding him "lunch n supper" when hes 51/2 months n then when hes six months I plan on doing "breakfast Lunch n supper" with the baby food. N when hes six months I was gunna try n start him on the 3rd stage food. Will that be ok? I kno the 3rd stage is more like...food lol If you kno what I mean. Not like apple sauce n stuff like that. Do you think he'd be ready? Right now he can eat 2containers of the 1st stage.

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My experiance has been that the fruits and veggies are still pureed at stage 3, just much thicker, but the dinners have actual little chunks in them that are tender for them to mash with their gums. We started my daughter at 6 months and she just swallowed it all, lol, no chewing, but they are tiny and soft and she didn't choke at all. Then around 6 1/2 - 7 months she started playing with it in her mouth and feeling the chunks and chewing on them, and now at 9 months she is eating more solids every day!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You have to use your own judgement. Really only you can tell if he can handle the chunks that are in the stage 3 food. I would go more off how he is doing and not a specific timeline. Play it by ear. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would slow down on the food. there are lots of sites that claim delaying solids helps with digestive tracts, food alergies etc.

My son is 13 months old and it still mostly nursed. He gets 1st foods every 2-3 days.

JMO
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't bother with stage 3 foods. If he's ready, then just start mushing up food from your plate and give that to him. Our pediatrician considers stage 3 to be a major marketing ploy...and totally unnecessary.

We never did stage 1, and at 6 months ours were doing 3 meals per day and we introduced finger/table foods. But our boys were SO ready for it! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• to TiccledBlue: lol ya my son when he was born ate like 3 oz every 2hours!!! So at 2months I gave him a lil bit of cerel. Now he sleeps like a whole 4hrs! lol. He loves his baby food though! N mines also a big eater! Everytime my n my boyfriend sit down to eat he just stares n drools n opens his mouth! lol
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009