Private Elementary School or put that money into savings for him to go to College?

My kiddo is 5 and our public schools are really not very good here. We were thinking about sending him to a private school but that would wipe out any hope of saving money for college savings for him as sending him to private school would already be a major struggle for us. But I want him to get the best education he can get... BUT then I get to thinking I should save that money for college instead.

So which is more important??? A good early start at a private school or save that money instead for college???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would save for college.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I would put him in the private elementary school. If he goes to crap elementary schools there is no guarantee s/he will be smart enough for an Ivy League college. I think it would be better to invest now.

I drive my son 15 miles further than his designated school to be able to take him to a good elementary school.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Would homeschooling be an option for you? If it would, that would save you the expense of the private school, thus allowing you to save for college, and you would be able to control his education, thus allowing you to make sure he gets a good, quality education.

If that's not an option, I'd probably go for the private school. With good enough grades, extracurriculars, volunteer activities, etc., he could get scholarships to go to college. But if he gets a crappy education right off the bat, he may never even make it to college at all.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I would try for a scholarship, and do extra learning at home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Unfortunately we both work, and weird schedules at that, so homeschooling is not an option. We do try to supplement the public school as best we can though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• That's a tough one. If the public schools really are bad, I'd probably try the private elementary school. You can always change your mind if you don't think you're getting your money's worth after a year or two. But a good beginning will hopefully foster a love for education, where an awful start may kill it so he doesn't want to try college at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I prioritize the early years very highly. It's an important foundation. I would not discount the investment in his elementary education, even if only for the first few years.

I don't think "private" automatically equals "good" (or even "better," sometimes.) There is a wide variation, among private schools, in approach & in what they offer. But I do think it makes good sense (and also that it pays) to invest in the early years of your child's education.

My child attends a private school that goes through middle school. There's a large (for the school) graduating class this year & many parents are making decisions about high school for their kids, some feeling pessimistic or ambivalent about the public school option because they so highly value the ideals of progressive education that our school embodies. But there also is the assurance that their kids are well-equipped BECAUSE of their foundation prizing inquiry & thinking.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Getting a good education early on will eventually lead to scholarships, so I would spend the $ now for a solid background....

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2013