How would you define the word 'insecure?'

I tend to think of a shy person that always questions everything about themselves and never feels like they have anyone's approval.

How do you think an insecure person acts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• You can't define them by the way they act. Some insecure people can put up a great front and you would never know they're insecure.

Also, they can be insecure about just one thing - say, their body, or their brain, or maybe about whether or not their partner is faithful.

To me, insecurity is doubt to the point that you just can't think positively about something. When you convince yourself you're unattractive and no one could ever possibly love you, or that you're too stupid to get a college degree, that's insecurity.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Also, sometimes you can see that a person is insecure because he or she puts up an overconfident front or gets really cocky. It's more of an inner attitude of doubt than an outer way of acting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Great answer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I agree w/ Wendy & Ballad. I'm totally insecure about my body & I hate it, but can't seem to overcome it. W/out even thinking about it, I automatically cross my arms over my stomach. It drives my dh nuts. OTOH dh bff comes across as totally over confident & cocky, but I think it's to cover up his insecurities about being alone & not being able to find a good & real relationship....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Someone who doesn't have the confidence to be themselves.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Someone who has to put down others because of their own short comings.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2013