The neighbor who cries "wolf"....

Not really sure what to think... Truly don't want to sound insensitive but... My neighbor is a total drama queen. They have rented next door for 2 yrs now & constantly have the police, fire dept., or ambulances over there. Supposidly her christmas tree caught on fire, & she insisted the fire fighters pull it out of the house, but there was no damage to it. Someone supposidly tried to steal their lawnmower, that they leave sitting next to the house all year & doesn't work. Her son had strep so she called an ambulance. Paper towels next to the stove got too close to the burner & started smoking so she called the F.D. Supposidly some lady came up & was trying to fight her while she was on her porch, (even though I never saw anyone go near her house & I had a clear view) so she called the p.d. She's had numerous "health issues" that have her being rushed by ambulance to the hospital countless times, only to be home a few hours later... etc.

Last night we heard their car alarm going off for maybe 3-5 secs. an hr & 1/2 later the cops are in our backyards searching for something. They came up to our house, asked if we had kids, & said to keep our doors locked & keep watch on our kids, because our neighbor's daughter was taking the trash down to the street & some guy tried to grab her. They said there were footprints leading from the park behind our houses to their back windows. (After 2 yrs, & 2 new cars, they "can't afford" mini blinds, so their house is totally open for all to see) They said the neighbor saw the guy hanging around (but couldn't give any kind of description) , So instead of taking the trash out herself, she still sent her 10 y/o daughter out to do it. When the guy supposidly tried to grab her daughter, she handed the youngest off to the other kid, went & got her car keys & supposidly scared the guy off by hitting the car alarm....

I don't know whether to take this seriously or not. Wouldn't you think that if someone was lurking around your house, that you'd take the trash out? And if someone tried to grab your child wouldn't you be rushing out of the house to fight for your child, yelling as loud as poss. to attract more attention & get help? We heard nothing! And trust me, she's been outside yelling before & we could hear it like she was in our house... our living room is right next to their driveway. My kids don't go outside w/out me, we keep our doors locked & blinds closed most of the time. But just wondered if anyone else thinks this story is a made up cry for attention. Unfortunetly her lying & attention seeking has rubbed off on her poor daughter who is just as bad as she is, so she may have gone along w/ the story. We don't talk to them because I got tired of the drama.

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 11:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• well the police are the one's that said there were footprints. Its not like she took the time to get adult male shoes and stomp all around with them. It's better safe then sorry especially when it comes to kids might be in danger.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I agree with Lost. The whole thing could be just a big fish story, but why take a chance Keep a sharp eye out.

Still, I get what you mean. The constant drama would drive me crazy, too. The emergecy services people must roll their eyes when her address comes up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Yeah, I'm sure the footprints were from someone else, I'm just saying that we get a lot of people cutting through our yards from the park, so they could've been there from earlier while she was gone. Maybe someone looking through the window to see if there was anything worth stealing.... Not really sure. I'm not saying that this didn't happen, because I'm not really sure. We were in our living room though & heard nothing... I agree though, better to be safe than sorry.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• About the only thing you can do is distance yourself from her and take care of your own family. Some people do create their own drama, but some also attract it. You never know what she's up to.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• lol Ballad, there have been a few times where the same people responded to the calls, & you can just see them shaking their heads or laughing when they walk up to the house... It's kind of entertaining in a sad twisted kind of way.... from a distance anyway... lol
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I agree m-avi. Def. stay as far away from her as poss. Tried to be nice at first, but it just got to be too much!
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• The story stinks, but the police have to be thorough. She sounds 'off' enough to have actually made the footprints to the window herself. Why else would she send her daughter to take trash out when she knows there is someone outside? Who does that?

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but I think I would start keeping some kind of journal of her weird activities so when something serious happens and people don't pay attention you can show them of the instances of 'emergency' she has claimed. She is wasting resources that are badly needed in the community. Firetrucks shouldn't be wasting their time on calls that aren't serious, police departments shouldn't be sending police officers out on calls that are made up and ambulances shouldn't be used as a taxi service to stroke the ego of a mentally ill person. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I agree QuinnMae. Guess I was just wondering if I was just being insensitive or if others thought this was just another ploy at attention. It drives me crazy that she wastes the emergency peoples time calling them out for stupid stuff!! I'm always wondering how far she will go to get the attention she seems to need so badly. And I worry that something will happen to one of her kids & because of all the rediculous calls, they won't take it seriously. I know it's their job to respond as quickly as poss. but my concern is for her kids. That's a great idea about the journal, if nothing else it would be entertaining reading.... maybe I should turn it into a book & get it published... people love a good dramatic story right??? lol
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Sure, just change the names of all involved to avoid legal issues. Seriously though, she does sound like she has some mental or emotional imbalances.What is really sad is to think of how many people that actually need those resources that aren't getting them because some kook keeps calling in about every little thing.  Plus, that stuff isn't free.  There is a charge from most ambulance / fire dept. for transporting you to the hospital.  I think many times insurance (if one has that) will pay if you are admitted overnight, but otherwise she is probably getting bills for this stuff and not paying, so of course it's on the tax payer's shoulders.  If it's needed - that's one thing.  If it's squandered and wasted, well, that's a different thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• lol. Seriously, I couldn't agree more. I said the same thing to my dh last night when this was going on. And they are on Welfare & medicaid so all this stuff is covered by the taxpayers, yet another thing that disgusts me. Maybe if they started charging her & she actually had to pay for it, she'd slow down, or stop all together. Not to mention the fact that her husband works nights & I can't even begin to imagine how much money they are losing because he has to rush home every time for these non emergency calls, to be w/ their 5 kids. It would def. be one thing if she had a serious health problem, but just using them to get attention is rediculous!!
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2013