The neighbor who cries "wolf"....

Not really sure what to think... Truly don't want to sound insensitive but... My neighbor is a total drama queen. They have rented next door for 2 yrs now & constantly have the police, fire dept., or ambulances over there. Supposidly her christmas tree caught on fire, & she insisted the fire fighters pull it out of the house, but there was no damage to it. Someone supposidly tried to steal their lawnmower, that they leave sitting next to the house all year & doesn't work. Her son had strep so she called an ambulance. Paper towels next to the stove got too close to the burner & started smoking so she called the F.D. Supposidly some lady came up & was trying to fight her while she was on her porch, (even though I never saw anyone go near her house & I had a clear view) so she called the p.d. She's had numerous "health issues" that have her being rushed by ambulance to the hospital countless times, only to be home a few hours later... etc.

Last night we heard their car alarm going off for maybe 3-5 secs. an hr & 1/2 later the cops are in our backyards searching for something. They came up to our house, asked if we had kids, & said to keep our doors locked & keep watch on our kids, because our neighbor's daughter was taking the trash down to the street & some guy tried to grab her. They said there were footprints leading from the park behind our houses to their back windows. (After 2 yrs, & 2 new cars, they "can't afford" mini blinds, so their house is totally open for all to see) They said the neighbor saw the guy hanging around (but couldn't give any kind of description) , So instead of taking the trash out herself, she still sent her 10 y/o daughter out to do it. When the guy supposidly tried to grab her daughter, she handed the youngest off to the other kid, went & got her car keys & supposidly scared the guy off by hitting the car alarm....

I don't know whether to take this seriously or not. Wouldn't you think that if someone was lurking around your house, that you'd take the trash out? And if someone tried to grab your child wouldn't you be rushing out of the house to fight for your child, yelling as loud as poss. to attract more attention & get help? We heard nothing! And trust me, she's been outside yelling before & we could hear it like she was in our house... our living room is right next to their driveway. My kids don't go outside w/out me, we keep our doors locked & blinds closed most of the time. But just wondered if anyone else thinks this story is a made up cry for attention. Unfortunetly her lying & attention seeking has rubbed off on her poor daughter who is just as bad as she is, so she may have gone along w/ the story. We don't talk to them because I got tired of the drama.

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 11:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Billing her for those services won't help a mental problem. She needs mental health help, stat. Think of the mothers that purposely make their kids sick to get attention from doctors and nurses. Munchhausen syndrome. I wonder if there is a similar syndrome that her behavior could be classified as.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• This is true.... honestly don't know what her deal is. I would hope that she'd never go that far, but she's had cps called a couple times & somehow always gets allerted ahead of time, & has the 10 y/o clean the house & kids up, then puts on the "perfect mommy" front.... Not sure if she's just one of those women who just blows minor things out of proportion to get any attention she can, or if she seriously has a mental problem....
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I have a neighbor just like that! She has told us that there was a man in our backyard in the middle of the night (yet she didn't call the police). That someone has tried breaking into their house, etc, etc. It's ridiculous and not once has there been any evidence of any of her crazy stories.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• It's maddening! Unfortunetly we can't pick our neighbors... but it would be soooo nice if we could ;)
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2013