Why are they retrying Amanda Knox?

Sorry, I can't link you up to the story from my phone. But I thought she was found not guilty? Does double jeopardy not apply in Italian courts?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Double Jeopardy is a very american concept... many many other countries can continue to try someone until the desired verdict is obtained. Italy is one of them.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• They don't have that thing outside the US. It's BS if you ask me. They have no proof, no nothing. Even DNA evidence says it isn't her. Someone already cooped to the murder. So are they going to hold 3 people for the murder now? I think the Italian courts have something against the young lady, they must hate her and want her punished even if they know she didn't do it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2013

• It's ridiculous! They are out for her in any way possible. Didn't they have try at her parents too for speaking ill of that damn hell home she was imprisoned?

I pray the US does not extradite her. I was wondering this morning if we could refuse. As soon as she stays in the US she should be safe, right.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I do not believe that they have that law in Italy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• i thought the same thing and assume they dont have the Double Jeopardy law. i wonder since Knox is a US citizen and we cant be tried twice for the same crime AND she's already back in the states if we will send her back. it really seems crazy to me that other countries allow Double Jeopardy...i wonder if there are Italian citzens who were pissed that she was released.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I don't understand how they have someone in prison already that confessed to the crime, yet they want a retrial. I don't get it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I didn't read all of this one, but here's a link:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20130326/EU--Italy-Knox/

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• good link Rosehawk. heres some answers...

"For those familiar by the U.S. legal principle of "double jeopardy" — by which no one who is acquitted of a crime can be tried again for it — the idea that Italian justice system allows prosecutors to appeal acquittals is hard to absorb.

Knox attorney Dalla Vedova dismissed the "double jeopardy" concern, insisting the high court ruling Tuesday hadn't decided anything about the defendants' guilt or innocence, but merely ordered a fresh appeals trial.

Dalla Vedova said Knox wouldn't come to Italy but would follow the case from home. He said he didn't think the new appeals trial would begin before early 2014 and no date would be set for it until after the top court issues a written explanation of its decision, due in the next 90 days."
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• She can still be tried in whats called "absentia ". Italy can go through the whole process without Amanda, and even find her guilty. But if and when that does happen, she will never be allowed, or shall we I say, it wouldn't be advisable to travel overseas or even Canada (I think) or she may be arrested and brought back to Italy. Right now, she is under our governments protection. But she leaves, its all over. But,they can request a provisional arrest warrant. Then a prosecutor from the Justice Department's Office of International Affairs would be called. Kinda like what happened last year, when Bush and several other members from his administration were convicted of war crimes in absentia in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2013