S/O of cell phone question?

At what age is it appropriate for a kid to have a cell phone? What kind of phone and what kind of social networking is okay (beside the required age limit of each site)?

DS asked me for a cell phone two Christmas's in a row. He started at 8 years old and I still have no idea what his intentions were. He doesn't call anyone, so WTF does he need a phone for? I don't leave him places where he needs to call me for a ride. His father and I are married and live together, so there is no need for him to have a phone when he is not with me. I know where he is and the people in charge of him know how to get ahold of me.

So, what age do you think it's appropriate for a kid to have a cell phone. What options should the phone have? (call only, texting, smartphone w/ data)?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• when they're old enough to go places alone, i think, incase an emergency ever happens. like riding the bus home from school and no adult supervision will be available until a parent comes home from work. so somewhere around 12 years old. but it won't have internet access and all the other bells and whistles, strictly for making and receiving calls.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• When they can afford to pay their own bill

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I'm not sure, honestly. I feel like my 6 yr old is no where near needing a cell. And, when she does finally get one it won't have net access.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• My teenage stepson has a phone with calling and texting but no Internet access. It comes in handy, but I don't think it's necessary, especially before the teen years. And I wouldn't want him having Internet access from anywhere. Maybe if he were on track as a normal seventeen-year-old, but he still needs to be monitored as to what he posts on FB and the like. I worry about him giving out too much personal information because the idea that someone might be looking to harm him is the last thing on his mind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• My 5 yr old has a cell but it can only call 911 which she never does. She just uses to play with the camera and type words she is learning to spell. She will not have a working phone till she is old enough to pay for it herself.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• The age of technology has screwed up our parenting big time, trying to keep with the Joneses!!!! I think it would be appropriate once they start having lives of their own, when they start dating and such, those awful teen years.....most cell phones no a days come with texting abilities, not exactly a plan.  All of these options create diversions for the more important things, like school and personal connection with family, why talk if you can text?

Answer by older at 12:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• my dd is 6 and asked for one...she just wants it for the games, soooo....dh and i will be getting her an ipad for her bday. *sigh* his idea, not mine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• i dont think they need one at all.. maybe once in highschool but any time before that isnt necessary. the point in having the phone should be so that they can use it to get a hold of you when they are out.. but tell me this... where are your 6-12 yr olds going that they cant get a hold of you? If they are at their friends houses i will be making sure parents are around and they are okay and can use a house or someone elses phone to reach me.. and they wont and shouldnt be out late in the middle of the night doing whatever! i just feel like we all survived without them growing so can our kids!
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• 13- 14 years old IMHO.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• same goes for i pads, so expensive for such young kids and now a days i seee so many kids sitting around glued to the games and taking them out to restaurants..my cousins son brings his everywhere and is like anti social... my son had a leapster but only plays it at home or his grandmas for a hour. no playing it when there are other kids to play with and actual fun running around games to play..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2013