Have we failed our children?

With all these stories like the two teenagers killing that baby, and Adam Lanza shooting those kindergartners; Do you think America has failed its children? We obviously aren't protecting them well enough and it scares the shit out of me to think that our future is dying because we aren't looking after the future. We only seem to be concerned with what's on facebook and twitter while our kids are probably suffering from mental and emotional problems that we just give the pills for and send them on our way so they can't disrupt our Farmville.

Sorry I'm going on a tangent but it seems to me like we are failing our children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The 17 year old hasn't been in school since October of 2011, the 15 year old (reported as a 14 year old in some of the articles) is in 8th grade. Now, there may be learning disabilities and such, but those two things can clue me in to the fact that these young men were not being nurtured at home. They likely lacked supervision and were not held responsible for their bad decisions. Likely any consequences from bad behavior clearly wasn't harsh enough. There isn't too much information in the articles about the kids, but just from what is reported you can tell that they did not have a stable, loving, nurturing upbringing. Their intent was to rob someone and when they didn't get what they want they killed a child and shot the mother as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Who is WE? Do you have a frog in your pocket?

No, I don't think we are failing our children in that way. Some people clearly are, but I do not include myself with that faction. I teach my kids right from wrong, give them consequences for bad behavior and make them deal with the outcome of their poor decisions. That's how we learn to do differently next time. I think some parents baby their kids too much. Some think kids deserve trophies for participating. My job is to prepare my kids for the world as a young adult.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I'm not being immature. I raise my kids. While there is a little of the 'it takes a village' in any community, I am ultimately not responsible for how others raise their kids. Nor are they responsible for raising mine.

There have always been bad kids that are trouble makers. I think we just have a different understanding of it these days. I think we hear more about horrible crimes because there are many 24 hour news channels that need to fill 24 hours with things to talk about. These things have always happened, we just hear more about it now.  Population has grown and thus the number of crimes have probably risen as well, but in proportion to population it may actually be pretty much the same per capita.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I don't think that, as a society, we're failing them by not protecting them, I feel we are failing them by not raising them to be respectful, peaceful, caring adults/ young adults.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• no. for every freak shooting of a toddler in a stroller there are dozens who cant even imagine doing that. we just hear more about the shocking horrible instances than the great ones. like the Californian cheerleaders who openly accepted a girl with Down's Syndrome to their team...the video has them talking about how the girl taught them far more than they could ever have taught her. everywhere there are teens & children doing wonderful things but they dont make the news b/c they dont sell papers/shows.

questions like this always make me wonder if the OP knows any history at all. we are not worse off as a society, we just see the worst of society constantly. i prefer to focus on the good things that we've accomplished than pretending we are all doomed. are some parents horrible, yes. do some parents baby their kids too much, of course. but that doesnt mean society has failed a whole generation of kids.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I don't take the question personally because I think I'm raising some great kids. I think that as a general term that yes we are failing in raising the kids. I don't believe it's that we're not protecting our kids to much but rather the opposite that we protect them to much. When every kid now makes the team, no child fails a class, every child must be invited to a birthday party, etc the kids are no longer learning the hard facts of life early on. They don't learn coping skills early in life.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• The main type of parents that are failing their children are "friend parents". Because they are not properly disciplining or providing proper limits and consequences. Thankfully not all parents are that way but, yes there have been enough in the last 20 yrs or so, that we (society) are now feeling the effects. The best thing a parent can do for their child is to not raise them with a sense of entitlement & to teach them right from wrong.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• some people yes have, but even if there was the perfect parent out there, a child can still have a mental illness, follow along etc. It makes me very sad to hear of these things, but children are exposed to alot more junk, at alot younger ages these days, how they process it or deal with it can make the difference between a "good" kid and a "bad" one.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• the 2 teenage boys wanted to do harm, would it have mattered if they stabbed the kid? Let's be clear that the older boy was the one who did the killing, the other boy was 14 and was hanging out with the wrong kind of friend, but guns don't kill people, people do, and if you think that restricting them for people willing to have a background check etc, will make it less difficult for someone to get a hold of a gun, that just isn't correct, they could steal one, or buy one on the black market. The problem is we give too much attention to those who do the wrong, I can remember the name of the Columbine shooters, but not the name of one victim.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I suggest rewriting the title of this post to say, "We have failed our children!" because you have already made up your mind, so what you're saying is a statement more than a question.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013