When is it time to wean from the pacifier?

My bbg is 8 months old, and has the 2 bottom teeth and upper teeth. She used to only use her paci for nap n night time but seems to now want it at all times. We try to not give it to her but i think it helps ease her teething pain. I know she is young but I don't want to make it a habit. When did your child stop using the pacifier?

Dalia9485

Asked by Dalia9485 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is up to you, if it comforts her, it won't hurt to use it until she is 4, I never used one at all, my kids just didn't like them. If you are worried about her teeth, studies have shown that it really does no harm until 4, now do I like to see 4 year olds with a binky? I don't but purely from health standpoint you don't need to rush it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Mine stopped at 2 years old, after spending a whole year drilling into him that the paci was for babies and he was a big boy, then one day by himself he went and threw it in the trash, and told me he was a big boy!

Answer by older at 12:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• We limitd our daughter to using the "faz" jut for bedtime and naps, and finally got rid of it at two years old, but it was definitely not easy by then. I'd say for health reasons, there's no rush. But the longer you wait, the harder it may be. Could you try a frozen teether instead for her pain, and just limit the pacifier to bedtime?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• dentsts told me to have babies off bottle at 1yr. binkys done by 2. thats what i did and we did cold turkey. it took three days and they were over it. ad the didnt even notice when i took the bottle
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• We started the sippy cup transition at 6 months n she has it down we still use the bottle for sleeping but i guess i ill have to work on it with her thanks ladies!
    Dalia9485

Comment by Dalia9485 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• At this point, it's starting to look like DD will be weaned by prom. Maybe.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• what is that supposed to mean?
    Dalia9485

Comment by Dalia9485 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• It means that my 2 year old still has her pacifier and will probably still have it at prom...
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• At 1 year we limited the paci to the crib only. At 2 we got rid of it altogether. We started a sippy cup at 6 months so they were ready to drop the bottle at 1 year.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Oh sorry english is my second language n im not great with abbreviations.
    Dalia9485

Comment by Dalia9485 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2013