If you heard a 7 year old drop an F-bomb

would you bother telling the parents or not? especially when you've been around the mother before and her language is no better. i heard the 7 year old say it for the first time yesterday and theyve been playing with my kids for almost a year now so i dont know if i should make a big deal out of it and go tell her mother what she said. i did tell her that we dont use that language at my house so if i hear her say it again she cant play here. is that handling it enough or should her mother be aware that she's obviously parroting her and in the correct context as well?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I think telling her mother would be appropriate, though the mother may not care.
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to set house rules that apply to your kids friends too. We've done that for our teenage son. He has a few friends that swear. They swear in front of their parents. We, as parents swear from time to time, but ds knows not to use that language and doesn't. He turns red even having to say the first letter in reference to something he heard (he's 15 and in football around kids and coaches that swear all the time). We've told his friends that that language is not acceptable from a young respectable man like they are and it's not to be used in this house. They respect that, no problem, and never use fowl language in our house even when in the bedroom with door closed playing games.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• if they continued id tell the parent.. if it continued after that then id correct the child myself just by saying "watch your language" -- or if it happens at ur house no more playing together.. the kid is just learning poor habits..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Kids learn from what they hear, so telling the mother will not do you any good it might even create a bigger problem. Stick to your guns and go through with not letting her play if you hear the foul language again......

Answer by older at 1:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• LOL, both of mine tested the word at around that age, I would want to know, but sounds like she doesn't care, so depending on what the status of your friendship is would depend on what I would say, Maybe something like Wow, Johnny is sure getting your mouth! What are you going to do when he says it at school?
    In some homes, the F word is a normal part of conversation, I can't stan hearing it as part of normal conversation, but that is just me.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't tell the parents. I don't see a point if the kid didn't actually hurt someone and you already addressed it with her.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• This happened at a play ground once when I was with my son. A boy about 6-7 kept screaming the F word. His middle aged father was busy skateboarding and yelling obscenities at his older son and I didn't want to get involved with that! I finally went up to the kid and said that I would appreciate if he didn't say those things around the younger kids and then I pointed towards his father and asked if that was his dad. The kid looked horrified, apologized, and didn't say the word again. If the father treats his own kids that way I wasn't about to find out how he'd treat a stranger asking him to tell his 6 year old to stop cussing.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I think enforcing the rules at your house is a fine way to deal with it, but I wouldn't assume that a mom who curses wouldn't be interested in knowing it's rubbing off on her son. Unless she curses constantly at and in front of kids, and even if she does, she probably doesn't want her seven year old doing it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• do you think the parents would care? If so i would tell the parent.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I have heard a 2 year old say it. No, I would not bother telling the parents. It is sad but true .
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• If the mom has bad language as well, she probably won't see it as a big deal like you do that her child used a cursword. Or she will be the "do as I say and not as I do type"--in which case, telling her might get the kid in trouble but not do any good in the long run. I'd let it be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2013