What's the worst example of parental stupidity you've seen?

I can remember back in 1998,my mom,my grandma and I stopped at my aunt's house. it was hot as hell out,so my grandma asked if she could grab a soda from the fridge,and my aunt told her to go ahead. My grandma comes back into the living room and starts giving my aunt shit (in a joking manner) about having wine coolers in the house,and asked her when she started drinking those. She tells us all that no,they're for Lisa.....her 10 year old!
My jaw dropped to the floor. I was like OMG,you let her drink ALCOHOL??? She says,so what,it's only a little bit.
We also found out another time that she was allowing her to smoke. She said Lisa kept stealing hers so she bought her her own.
Needless to say,this is the same child that grew up to start skipping school in 6th grade and was passed on to 7th and 8th grade with D's
She never attended high school
Her mom was all cool with this.
She now has 2 kids,4 and almost 3. The dad is in prison,and she's remarried. She's 24

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Ohhhhh AND her fourth had pneumonia when she was 6 wks old. She let that baby at the hospital for a week without her. She was moving. Had to set up house. Her mother stayed with the baby when the hospital called her because the mother wasn't picking up her phone. When we told her she needed to be there with her kid her response was "Why? My Access is paying for it." That went thru me.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 4:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I can't even type it out, makes me too sad.

BUT, I will say that my mom used to give me shots of wine coolers when I was really young.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I'd have to say the most recent case is DH's ex saying my daughter has autistic qualities and doesn't think her daughter would fit in around a "special needs child."
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• This isn't the worst, but it's funny. Several years ago my friend was dating a guy who lived with his sister and her 2 young kids. We were at their house and the youngest kid (maybe 3?) was at the table eating one of those cup-of-noodles. He finished, left the table, and his mom came over and looked in the cup. She then yelled for him to come back because he hadn't "finished his vegetables". LMAO!!! Yes, the little freeze dried pieces of corn, peas, etc. that come in the cup!!!!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I guess the most blatantly WTF example I can think of offhand is the one on the news a while back about the parents who put their kid in the washing machine and turned it on the cold cycle as punishment. That poor kid died. Some people really aren't qualified to care for Chia pets, let alone have kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• My other bought alcohol for me when i was a teen and even asked me for sex tips. She knew I was having sex and thought it as neat. She didn't care because the guy I was with she really liked.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Correct. Nutty, yes, autistic, no. And even if she were, so the fuck what? It's not like her daughter can "catch" autism.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I know a woman who put her 7 year old out on the side of the road, and forced him to walk home, during a huge rainstorm, and when I mean walk, like 3 miles, the police pulled up to her home with him in hand, nothing ever came of it, and she is still an awful mother, humilates him in front of others for bed wetting etc.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2013