8 month old pulls hair, piercings, glasses etc....

She loves hair, glasses and my friend's face piercing like lip ring. I give fore warning... but it hurts. I know she understands no to a point, because if I say it loudly enough and give her a look I get an old man grumpy face. Then tears... I have heard to pull their hair right back, obviously not hard. What do you think?

tsc2007

Asked by tsc2007 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's just curious. Most children this age will do this. Just keep telling her no and demonstrate nice touching and behavior. She will stop:) Good luck.
    Anonymous

• When my nephew and niece were going through this, we used the word "gentle" a lot, and tried to show them gentle behavior.
    Marimaru

Answer by Marimaru at 2:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Tell her no and show her how to be nice. If she does it again, set her down and say "that hurts (mommy, aunt so and so, etc) don't comfort her when she gets upset. She is just being curios, but she cannot be allowed to hurt people.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Lol my baby has been puling hairs from 5 months she is now 10 months. And the curiosity has not reduced. The only difference is she is pulling them more strongly with both her hands and wont let it go. When people get close to her I start praying!! I have tried explaining her and i am still doing it..hmm..think it will take time and we need to be patient and careful.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 3:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yeah she pulled my neighbor's lip ring!!!!
    Anonymous

• im going thru this right now too! i wear glasses so its an everyday struggle. i just pull her arm down fast before she has a chance to grab on & say No in a stern voice & shake my head. its gotten a little better, so i think she's learning.

she is just curious but the sooner you set boundries the faster she will learn not to do it. i wouldnt pull her hair back tho, she isnt old enough to grasp that you are doing what she just did.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ha, kyrie loves pulling my glasses off, trying to rip people's lips off, pulling hair, pinching, biting and twisting my boobs, etc.. she just really likes textures and touching things. i'm hoping eventually, with me saying no, it may help. if i say ouch, she just laughs and thinks it's funny. i have heard people say you can tug their hair back, and it is supposed to help. she just started the biting thing, so i may try gently flicking her on the cheek-if it continues. good luck! btw, i think any day this week is okay, besides tomorrow. i'm taking my cousin for her ultrasound :(

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009