Need advice

I was looking on the local shelter website for the county that I live in, and saw something that made me very upset. Around November I gave a dog that we adopted to this man that I knew. The dog was a hound and more suitable for a hunting dog than a family pet. We had the dog for about 6mos and realized that we could not give the dog what he needed. He was chasing the cat, and cornering her (like he was hunting her). I thought I was doing the best thing for him, but now I see him on the pound website... he is a featured dog. I'm sure it's him. I pulled some pictures that I have stored on my computer and compared markings on the face.... exact match. I'm so upset and beside myself. I read the website they are a no kill shelter... (I was looking for a dog for a friend on the site). Should I be going to rescue this dog? It says that they only take in dogs that are found wondering around the streets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Oh my, what a predicament that would be. If the dog is still there and you can get him trained not to chase the cat,lol then maybe you could concider it. But if you have already tried, then gee I would contact the hound rescue group of that breed and see if they have someone that would take him. I might even put an add in the paper for someone that needs a good hunting dog, in your area. You might even get the local radio station to see if they could ask on the air if someone needs him. Even your local tv station may be able to help. Just need to get the news out you need help for this good dog. hopeyou find the right answer for your issue. Good luck
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i would call the guy you gave him to and ask how the dog is doing and see what he says maybe the dog did run away and he wasn't able to find him. if he tells you he doesn't have him anymore then tell him you found the shelter he is in if he wants him back if he lies then i would confront him about it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't go rescue the dog. You gave the dog away for a reason in the 1st place, so why would you want the dog back? It's not like your dog ended up in bad hands. I can see why you would be upset, but if the dog is at a no kill shelter then why worry about it. Shelters will be sure that your dog is placed in a good home. If you take the dog back, and can't give the dog what he/she needs then what good is that for your dog? You will just end up trying to find the dog a new home again anyway, so let the shelter do it for you.
    Anonymous

• Alot of hunting dogs if not trained properly will run off and get lost maybe you should call the guy and see maybe the dog just got away from him and he couldn't find it. Also, if you got rid of the dog then I don't suggest taking him back there is a reason you gave him away and hopefully they will find a suitable home for him.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• First I would not go adopt the dog. As somebody said you gave the dog away for a reason. If it's in a no kill shelter then they won't be putting it to sleep and they'll find a great home for him. But I would call the guy you gave the dog to and ask about him to see what he says.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009