Has anyone breastfed and formula fed at the same time?

Since I am a stay at home mom I want to breastfeed my baby boy that is due here this upcoming July. I want to have formula feeding as an option but mainly breastfeed. Have any of you done this? How was your experience?

arielperez18

Asked by arielperez18 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did this with all three of my kids. There were times when it was necessary to feed a child before I could breastfeed. I kept a bottle and a single serving of formula in their diaper bag for that purpose. I predominantly breastfed DD19 for 6 months, DS18 for 4 months (he bit!) and DD7 for 6 months.

DD7 was a different situation. She has Down syndrome and was fed via a nose tube when she was in the NICU. I tried and tried to nurse her but she didn't have the strength to latch on but happily took a bottle. I ended up pumping for 6 months but adding formula as necessary as she wanted more than I was producing. When I started only dribbling out less than an ounce at a time I gave up the pump. She's been the healthiest of all my kids and everyone got to feed her.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 6:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I did this from day one with both my boys. They had no problem going from one to the other. I left a bottle for any babysitters we had and if I couldn't make it home in time for a feeding there was always formula available for my husband to give. I do realize some babies will not take a bottle once breastfed, but that wasn't the case with our two. Wishing you all the best!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I did. With 2 of mine. I introduced the bottle right away. I primarily breastfed, but gave at least 2 bottles a day. I always gave a bottle when we were out. I slowly weaned the daytime so I could go back to work. When I went back at around 4 months, they were nursing in the morning, bottles all day, I nursed as soon as I got home at around 5:30, then nursed throughout the night. It was perfect. I never had to pump. I suggest introducing the bottle right away. Get him used to both. We did it for 9 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I both nursed and fed formula for my baby's first year, primarily because no matter what I did, I couldn't produce enough breastmilk to meet her needs. She went back and forth easily from breast to bottle till she weaned herself from the breast at about ten months. I don't know if part of the reason she weaned was because the bottle was quicker and easier to get milk from, but once she found her mobility, she didn't have as much patience for the breast. Still, I was able to give her between half and two thirds of her infant diet in breastmilk, and then add solid foods. My lactation consultant told me that in all of her years of work, she could count the babies on one hand who got nipple confusion or refused to go back and forth from bottle to breast. A lot of women breastfeed and formula feed at the same time. My thought was that any breastmilk I could give my baby was better than none. She's always been pretty healthy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Not literally at the same time, but yes lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I did and I feel it allowed me to breast feed for a few months as opposed to not at all because my production was low. Eventually she went only to the bottle.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• yes have done both
    usually for late night feedings so my dh could take over or if I had a few drinks on occasion to be extra safe
    we used Nestle Good Start with Omegas & had no problems
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I will be the breastfeeding police here.

If you are home anyways and have boobs.... Try exclusively breastfeeding :) it burns calories like whoa and Google virgin gut.

Plus breastmilk is the cure for almost everything. Diaper rash cradle cap ear and eye infections.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• " I don't know if part of the reason she weaned was because the bottle was quicker and easier to get milk from,"

Usually that's exactly the case.

OP, it CAN be done but a lot of the time it's actually harder than just choosing one route and sticking with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2013