Dish VS Direct - reality check please?

We have never had cable or satellite and the coverter box is just not cutting it.

I am leaning towards DISH because they have the two-room DVR - which is just the dream. But Direct has very good service, as far as I can tell.

Any last minute opinions?

Wimsey

Asked by Wimsey at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Entertainment

• i had dish and i loved it at first, but after a couple months it was horrible! the satellite was always searching for a signal, it seemed like if there was two clouds in the sky we had problems, there was something wrong with our box and the people at dish didnt seem to care. they told me i had to wait over a month before i could get someone to come out to the house to look at the same thing that i had them out there for 4 times previously. we ended up just canceling our service. i know this probably doesnt happen to everyone and you may have great luck, but i will never go with dish again
    Anonymous

• I have Direct. I have had dish...it was not good. I think when I had it they had lost alot of channels due to some business squabbles lol. So I switched and stayed with Direct..that and DH works for Direct too.
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 2:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• In what part of the country do you live ANON 224?

It helps that my neighbor has satellite - here in SW FL we have some pretty chancy weather!!!

I just could not get over how expensive cable was - WOWZERS. That's some crazy right there, that is.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I love Direct TV. Great customer service, good signal, no complaints, really.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• oops, im sorry i didnt mean to make myself anonymous!! my bad! I live in the chicago area so our weather is always super messed up too! one hour its snowing, the next its raining, then its sunny. i just couldnt stand it! we had such bad luck with dish
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• cable can be expensive, but they always have bundles, and if you talk to them they work on lowering your bill. ive dropped my cable bill over $100 just from complaining lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have direct...I hate there billing..There statements are hard to understand...
    The first guy who came to install it...made a nice big hole in our wall..
    Don't care for the service nor the billing..
    I would not go with them again but stuck in a 2 year contract.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had (we just quit tv!) Directv and they were/are great- no hidden fees, free actually is free. This was NOT the case when we had Dish... I wouldn't go with them again if we ever decide to hook tv back up.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have cable now. I hate it. I plan on getting Dish when we move in about 6 months. I looked at both Dish and Direct and Dish is the best one. They both have web sites I went to.

Answer by louise2 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We've had Directtv for many years. After my husband damaged some wiring when clipping shrubery (or something like that) we bought the service plan for an extra $5 a month, but as a result service is very good and attentive- not sure how it is otherwise. We have basic plus- which means we get basic service plus pay an extra $12 a month for the encore stations- mystery, scifi, history, and so forth that we watch all the time. We don't have Max or HBO. We have boxes on 4 tvs, for which we pay an extra $5 a month for three of them. One of the 4 is DVR and we pay extra for that, but I love it. Ordinarily we rarely lose the signal, and then it is for a very short time- if htere is heavy rain or snow, but just this year we lost the signal for 6-8 hours because of ice on the dish and the collector. I like the menu and the feature of the picture showing even when searching the menu.

Answer by Bmat at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009