Would you give your SO an ultimatum...

...alcohol or you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• depends on how bad it is.. some ladys dont like them to drink at all and give him that ultimatum. if it affects his job, his family, his every day. then yes i would.

Anonymous

• No, alcoholism is a disease, it is not easy to give it up but it can be done with patience and commitment,but an ultimatum will not work, not with this....

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I couldn't be with an alcoholic. If my husband suddenly decided to start drinking, he would know that he was picking alcohol over me because there is no way I would stay with that. The good thing is that he can't stand to be around people who drink either, so it's not an issue.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Only if you realize they will choose the alcohol every time. Even if they make an initial effort, that's not a decision they are capable of just making one day - addiction requires treatment and long term care, not a whim. Without that, they'll answer you, but still be back to drinking within a month.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Depends on what you are talking about, a drink now in then, it is ridiculous to think a responsible adult should have to abstain, now if we are talking a drunk then of course, but he will need help to do so, AA-something, so be prepared to stick to your guns, and you may have to go in order for him to realize the problem.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I don't know. I think I would if I was prepared to walk if he chose alcohol. But only if I was prepared to walk.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• "In sickness & in health". If he's truly an alcoholic, then he has a sickness. Unless he is a violent drunk, I think you need to help him get thru to the other side. The sober side. Go to Al Anon meetings while he attends AA. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• If it were that bad, I'd give an ultimatum of either get help or I'm out.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Sure, why not. I'll let him know when he wakes up.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Not unless the alcohol was interfering with his job or family or making him into an ass, and not unless I really meant what I said and would be totally prepared to back up the threat if I had to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2013