When do i tell my teen?

i filed for divorce today. my husband doesn't even know yet although i told him i was at the lawyers office.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would wait until things are as settled as possible so you can answer his/her questions about where he/she will be living when and any other changes that will be happening, but I also wouldn't wait until they hear it from someone else!

Answer by missanc at 8:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Your husband should definitely know before your teen. When my now ex left me, I made him tell the kids. Now I wish we had done it together. The important thing to emphasize is that it is not your child's fault and that it won't change your love for your child. Be prepared to answer questions, but don't give out too much information.
    Is there any hope of reconciliation? I'm a big believer of marriage and still hate the fact that I'm divorced. But it wasn't my choice and so I realize that sometimes it just has to happen.
    *HUGS*
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• it's been 10 yrs of struggle for us. 2 therapists. countless lies. now i found hundreds of texts & calls between him and another woman. anyway, i had an epiphany at 3am and decided I was done. i had to be done for my sanity.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I'm so sorry you are going thru this. My divorce was the hardest thing that ever happened to me but I am a stronger woman than I ever was and met the man of my dreams who treats me way better than I ever thought possible. Counseling for you and for your teen would be a great idea.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• thank you. i am quite devastated. i am simply not hungry, i am in a daze, i alternate crying & trying to be positive. thank God my teen has therapy already scheduled for tomorrow. he has depression & aspergers so he'll need help through this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I assme if it's been ten years of struggle, this won't come as a surrise to your teenager. Just answer his questions as best you can, and reassure him that you still love him and will always be there for him. If possible, encourage your soon-to-be ex to do the same. WithAsperger's and depression, which my stepson also has, it will be a day to day, sometimes hour to hour, roller coaster, but it will help if you and his dad don't drag him into the conflict.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Just sit them down and explain it. Most teens can deal with that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Now
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• You tell them NOW!!! Answer their questions honestly. If you have been having problems for 10 years, they KNOW this and may be glad that you are getting a divorce.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2013