How do they know what they're doing?

Asking this as a separate question, because I don't want the person who started the question in R&B to think I'm singling them out. Many times here over the years, Christians of all different denoms have mentioned that they haven't read the bible or haven't read all of it.

Generally speaking, how does one consider oneself to be a Christian if they haven't even read all the rules required to be a Christian? Same question applies to a Jew who has not read the Torah, a Heathen who has not read the Eddas, and so on, but honestly, I've only ever seen Christians say it, so I'm primarily addressing it to them. Anyone who practices some other religion but hasn't read all its foundation text(s) is also invited to answer.

To clarify - the answer is typically that all that is required is to accept Jesus, but how do you KNOW that if you haven't read the book that tells you that?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2013 in Religious Debate

• There is also oral tradition.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Hmmmm.... I think if you are christian and have not read the Bible, then you are doing yourself a great disservice. I know when I allow the busyness of life to edge out reading it, then my spirits flag, and I dont get the info I need to keep my focus sharp. However, I dont read it in order to " understand all the rules required...." I read it to gain understsanding of Gods will for my life. This is why I read it with several coomentaries as well....to gain understanding
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I find it amusing. I won't lie I skipped all the son of and son of and so on, but other than that I've read the whole bible. I'm not sure how one would call themselves Christians without reading their religions holy text. If god inspired and if you truly want to know and understand your god would you not read what he has given you? I honestly take it a step future and say why not read the Torah and understand your religions beginnings as well.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• I've heard the "we HEAR the Word at church" line of reasoning. I normally counter with ... "No, you are hearing someone else's interpretation of the Word."

I usually get the fish gasping for air face.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• There is also oral tradition.

There is also the game of telephone, but I wouldn't base my life philosophy on that, either.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Many religions have no written text at all and are simply oral. How do they KNOW they are doing it right? Most Christians I have heard talk like that have the excuse that is what their pastor said to do or something lame like that.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if I have read the whole Bible... I have never sat and read it cover to cover... but I look things up and read them all the time and have for years. I was just looking up and reading things a little while ago. When I have questions I seek out answers... I imagine I have read most of it if not all of it at this point but I can honestly say, I don't know that. I know I started to read it cover to cover in Middle school but I do not know if I finished it then...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Well, If you want to get right down to it. The Bible is more or less a game of Telephone... It has been translated and re-translated so many times. Who is to say that every scripture is stated as it was intended in the original script. Then there is also the fact that mush of the Bible was written down based on passed down stories. Plus it was inspired by God but written by man, there fore it is subject to imperfection. The Bible is a guide to help you make your own choices.
    Anonymous

• Not when it is read out of the Bible, spiritedwitch.
    I have read the Bible many times. Cover to cover though I have to admit that my eyes do glaze over at the begats as well. The Catholic Church and I would think other denoms as well also have oral traditions. I have read the histories of the Church and the lives of the saints and various and assundry text by various theologians. I also know that there are things that are more hidden than others.

I do not have to know of my history to be an american. I do not have to know anatomy in order to know a good many things about how my body works. and you can go on and on.

Yes I think you should read the Bible if you profess to be a Catholic. Many people can not read it even if they want to. It is simply not possible for them to do so. I somehow feel comfident that there are many people all over the world that do not have the ability to read any holy texts or histories a
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Had to come back and add I don't understand how they (not all) claim to be morally superior and try to dictate others while not knowing their own texts.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2013