If the Supreme Court repeals DOMA what happens in the GOP?

so some Republicans have come out in support for gay marriage recently, but what about the very Christian conservative voters who make up a good portion of the party? they will not be happy (reportedly so) and claim it will polorize the country even more than it already is. they also claim to take up the fight even stronger and for some reason think they will still win the 2016 election (im guessing due to all the angry Christians showing up to vote). having read some of the key moments from today's SC hearing it looks like chances of repeal are really good...so whats the GOP going to do?

go back to the conservative Christian base and continue to lose elections as more ppl become okay with SSM or die off?
alienate a chunk of their base in hopes of winning elections, but then losing because their base didnt show up to the polls?
let this issue split the already unstable GOP into two groups: social conservatives (religious right) and fiscal conservatives (which most Republican leaders arent really)?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 12:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The GOP was already making advances to widen their base before the hearing started, because they knew this was coming. They've been working on it since they lost the election, because it's their only prayer (yes, pun intended) to have any kind of a congressional majority after the midterm elections.

The answer lies not with the GOP, but with how gullible people are. The actual Republicans who are elected and running the party are not religious whackjobs. They are cynics who have been exploiting the religious whackjob vote to keep themselves well funded and employed. Now they are realizing that the religious whackjobs don't have the money and numbers they used to, so they'll have to find a new easy target.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I'm thinking that the social conservatives will probably stay with the GOP and those of us that prefer to focus on fiscal issues, national security issues and foreign policy issues will probably stay Indie and possibly go third party. While I vote R / I in elections, I would hate to see either party disappear. Our government is meant to have a balance of power and I think a lot of partisans forget this and why it is so important.

I've seen articles stating that evangelicals will walk away from the party but I don't know where they would go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I've seen articles stating that evangelicals will walk away from the party but I don't know where they would go.

There's always the Constitution Party aka as the party so far to the right, Newt Gingrich wouldn't be welcome.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• For sure it is going to be interesting to watch and see what happens.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:54 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Maybe all the nut jobs in the GOP will self-destruct, leaving something more sane in the wake of the explosion.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Maybe all the nut jobs in the GOP will self-destruct, leaving something more sane in the wake of the explosion. Answer by Ballad

It is my dream that the nut jobs in BOTH parties will self destruct and leave room for more sane representation, but we tend to do this damage to ourselves by voting the same idiocy back in election after election after election.  Unfortunately, the people need to be smarter about their choices.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I hope they focus on the important issues at hand like the economy and joblessness. I firmly believe that regardless of how I feel about social issues (DOMA, abortion for instance) it's not my place to decide for someone else. Things like these are decided within the heart and conscience and those are things you cannot legislate nor should they try.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2013