I was taking a bath today and ...

My 3 year old said mommy you have a big belly. Just like poppa pig!!!

( a big fat hairy boy pig in a cartoon)

Your kids ever inadvertently make you feel uncomfortable?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• Um yeah, all the time. All the damn time. My daughter told me today that she should get the bigger bowl of ice cream and I should get the smaller one because I needed to lose my tummy and I wasn't exercising enough.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• YEP. It is in their nature to say everything that they think. Which is why it is up to us to teach them about when it is appropriate for them to say what they think and when it is not okay. My older sister always thought it was hilarious when her kids would tell our younger sister that she was fat, "I mean they are just little kids!!!!!". Then her grandson told her that her butt was as big as a hippos. Then all of a sudden she realized how much it hurt our sister.

Last year my youngest kept saying that I was fat. {{thanks a lot kid!}} I told him that I already know that I am fat and I do not need a rude little boy to keep telling that. He was very offended when I called him a rude little boy. I explained that word can hurt and we should choose them more carefully. He stopped pointing out that I am fat.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My daughter came up to me once and asked me why I had such a big belly. we had a talk about nice and mean things to say. and how even though it may be true it does not mean you have to say it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes. My son was trying to explain to our elderly neighbor that I had boo-boos on my boobs and asked him not to touch them. (This was shortly after my breast reduction.)
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes, very annoying.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• my DD keeps saying there is a baby in my tummy and she wants a new sister :( and I am not pregnant
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yep!
    If you notice, there often is ZERO negative judgment in what they say about bodies. It's simple observation. Also, it's the honesty of actual intimacy.
    It can be an opportunity to notice how her mind works (her associations) & learn about her experience.
    I try to be thoughtful about my response. Mine once said something about how my breath didn't smell good. I was about to let her know that it "wasn't nice" or "wasn't polite" to say so, but before speaking I took a moment to sit with my feelings (instead of responding to my discomfort by "addressing" the comment & pressuring her to adapt herself) which let me reflect.
    There was some discussion of this in two recent questions Ballad posted, how typical responses can send the message that they are responsible for other people's feelings. This unconscious belief is VERY commonly internalized & leads to problems (frequently evident in the dynamics described in Relationships!)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:57 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My kids have said stuff to me, but it doesn't really make me feel uncomfortable because kids don't really look at us like "oh my gosh you are so fat/ugly/disgusting...." like a teen/adult would criticize. I actually like it when they point stuff out to me so I can say stuff like "yep, I do, we are all different shapes and sizes." ....talk to them about eating healthy and exersice and taking care of our bodies.
    Hopefully my kids will view others out of concern for well being instead of criticizing them for being overweight or outside appearances.
    Think of it as a teaching moment! :)
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Oh yes, the innocence of a child and what comes out of their mouth is pure observation without reservations!

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Oh yes, she was excited and happy to make the connection.

I guess I need to start working out!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2013