Call me a paranoid nut case, but it doesn't make it less true....

Our Dept of Homeland Security has a open order to buy 1.6 BILLION rounds of ammo. Now WTF do they need all that for?? Well some of this purchase order is for hollow-point rounds, forbidden by international law for use in war, along with a frightening amount specialized for snipers. Also reported elsewhere, at the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month. Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years. In America.
If the purpose of this amount of bullets is for arming and practice, shouldn't one question be, ‘just how many people is DHS talking about and why do they need that many people?’
As citizens do we not have the right to purchase ammo but does the gov’t have the right to corner the market for any reason, nefarious as well as well intentioned?
Is this a way for the Obama Admin or whoever to carry out tougher gun control?? By restricting or making it so damn difficult, or so expensive?? For example, my husband went and bought .22 cal ammo for a CCW class this weekend in case any of his students needs to borrow one of his guns. 22 cal ammo is cheap enough to get if you just want to get some trigger time in. Anyway, a box containing 500 rounds of .22 cal ammo was selling for approx $20/box back in December. Today its selling the same box for $49. This represents a 145 percent increase in price! Also, 9mm was selling for $10.99 - but, they're now priced at $24.00 per box.
Maybe the reason why ammo costs are going up is the government is stockpiling ammo for fear of a revolution!! lol
There was a study done by Syracuse University that found that out of 90 federal jurisdictions, in 2012 Chicago ranked last for prosecuting bad guys with guns. WTF?? The Obama Admin is trying their best to have the strictest gun control, so why doesn't our government make stiffer punishment for those who have guns and murder somebody? Well cause its SO much fucking easier to prosecute innocent people. And that doesn't cozy up the the grand plan Obama may have.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK, the whole excuse that it's for training purposes stinks and doesn't make sense. I was reading that hollow points cost twice as much as full metal jackets (I hope I'm getting the terminology correct), so why buy bullets for twice the price just for practice? Even if that is true, doesn't that show some kind of negligence with the use of taxpayer funds? These idiots are either hiding something or they don't know how to prioritize and budget (well, duh).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• One of the women I work with and three of her friends just returned from a 4 day "super" gun handling class. Sorry but I don't know the name of it. They were required to bring at minimum 600 rounds, but she and her friends figured they would go all out at get at least 1000 rounds (full metal) for each of them. It took almost a week and trips to multiple shops to do so. The shop owners say the panic has been great for business, they can not get stock on the shelves fast enough, no government regulations or controls, just mom and pop in a panic buying anything they can get their hands on.
    One of the first rules of capitalism, supply and demand, If I have a limited amount of what you want, it is going to go for the highest price I can get for it.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• The thought of anybody, especially the government, stockpiling that much ammunition is just plain scary.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2013