My son has had chicken pox, shingles and chicken pox again!!

My 2 year old had chicken pox september last year, then in november was diagnosed with shingles, then this year in january him and his brother got chicken pox again, while havinbg chicken pox my son was diagnosed with slapped cheek syndrome, and ear nose and throat virus.. he has had tests at the doctors which came back normal so they said they wont do anything else. I still feel uncomfortable thinking there is an underlined problem which is caused this.. should i seek a second opionion?

vickybanf

Asked by vickybanf at 8:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Did your children get the chicken pox vaccine? Just wondering. I forget how old they have to be to get it. I've heard that if you get a mild case of the Chicken Pox the first time that you can get it a second time. Normal. Are your children in Day Care, Preschool, regular school? My Son just stared Kindergarten in the fall & has had Pneumonia & an ear infection just this winter. Now he has a stomach virus with vomiting. He is giving it all to my 1 year old too. So if one child is in a school setting that is where they are getting all these germs. Just bath them as soon as they come home & teach them to wash their hands. There isn't anything else you can do. Unless making everyone that come into your home wash their hands too and don't let anyone come over who is sick. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• He hasnt had the vaccine, and he doesn't go to pre-school.. and isnt really around alot of other chidren, but shingles in a 2 year old is very rare let alone to have chicken pox after having shingles.. I think there is something wrong with his immune system to be able to get it over again.
    vickybanf

Comment by vickybanf (original poster) at 8:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Ask the doc to draw some blood. There may be an immune issue here

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• One of my boys had chicken pox twice. He never had shingles though.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• hes had blood tests that have come back normal.
    vickybanf

Comment by vickybanf (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• have him tested again.
    The chicken pox virus never leaves your body once you've had it. Typically another flare up appears as shingles (and usually later in life), but it is true that if your first case was mild you can have another outbreak later.
    Even considering all of that, he's only 2. 3 cases so close together would have me taking him to an immunologist/specialist to make sure his immune system is up to par.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would be worry too and if your doctor do not want to do extra tests maybe you should look for second opinion just to be sure. Good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Poor guy! Shingles is terrible, even for an adult. I can't imagine a little one dealing with it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• You need to boost his immune system. Good quality probiotics, vitamins (plenty of vitamin C ... a natural antiviral ... to the point of bowel saturation), remove sugar and possibly gluten and casein from his diet, only natural and whole foods. Coconut oil also has wonderful antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal properties and is very healing to the body. If you go for a 2nd opinion, I would opt for a naturopathic doc, not an allopathic (mainstream) one ... the mainstream docs aren't trained/qualified to deal with these issues and will probably dismiss them.
    Anonymous