Are Muslims taught to go spread the word,so to speak,to people of other religions?

I wasn't aware that it was a religion that was promoted by word of mouth

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, they are not. They lead by example and answer questions. They don't proselytize..
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• No. They do not do that. In actuality, it's a very peaceful religion. Unfortunately, like all religions, you have extremists....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I don't see any issue at all with it being mentioned when someone asks about the bible or religion in general
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• from what my friends have said, no
    If one asks them about Islam, then they speak about it. But to proselytize no
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 8:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes it happens cause alot of what is in the bible is in the Quran
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes they are. In the Quran it states they will receive a great reward from Allah for converts. I might can find a specific reference if you want. I'm a Christian but have done some studies on Islam.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

^^Ditto. My husband was half raised Muslim lol (his Grandfather was Muslim and he lived with him for several years as a teen). They are very strict,humble, and "keep to yourself" about their religion. They don't push but will talk about it when prompted.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I have no knowledge of what Islam teaches about spreading the word, but I do know that if you look at history, conquering foreign peoples and expanding their empires and their power was every bit as important to Muslims as it was to Christians. Right or wrong, based on today's rules, Islam and Christianity were both spread, largely by force, over much of the world.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• that if you look at history, conquering foreign peoples and expanding their empires and their power was every bit as important to Muslims as it was to Christians.

You might want to research the history then. When Christians conquered a new territory, anyone who didn't convert was raped/tortured/killed in some order, including children. When Muslims conquered a new territory, anyone who didn't convert was left alone, but were not given the privilege of full citizenship. Meaning they had to pay taxes, but couldn't vote or hold certain jobs. Nobody was ever forced to convert. They certainly weren't raped and murdered for refusing to convert.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• "Meaning they had to pay taxes, but couldn't vote or hold certain jobs. "

There were Jews who were given prominent positions, and there are those who think that the taxes may merely make up for the fact that non Muslims wouldn't pay zakkat ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2013