IEP Meeting

DD gets speech therapy at school. It started in pre-school and I loved that therapist...she would send home updates and homework for us to do with DD to enforce what they went over during their sessions.

But there is a different therapist starting in Kindergarten. I got no updates and I got no homework. I patiently held out until the IEP meeting in March 2012 (which was DD's Kindergarten year, but we were updating IEP for her 1st grade year). Because I hadn't received anything, I had it added in the new IEP to send me updates. Therapist wrote in she would send every 5 weeks. I asked that she put in there to send me homework. Therapist said she didn't do that because it's her experience that parents don't follow up. I told her I was not one of those parents and asked for homework again. She said she would send home what she could (never wrote in IEP).

1st grade starts and we are now in March. The only "updates" I have received are the ones she has to do for the state every 9 weeks. I received some homework the first couple of months and then it just stopped.

This afternoon is our IEP meeting to update for DD's 2nd grade year. I will again say I want updates every 5 weeks and will again say I want homework and I will make sure that BOTH are written in the IEP...but obviously even being written in there doesn't give this therapist reason to do it. What can I do to make sure this stuff gets done?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's in the IEP and she doesn't do it, then you request another meeting, take the IEP in and state that she is not handling her obligations in the IEP. If she continues, then you tell the school (and her) that if she does not start doing what is required in the IEP, you will go to the school board to complain.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My suggestion: let her know that you wanted more than you got. Give her that specific feedback. Be clear that it's in the IEP (or being added, now) because it's important to you, not that you are being a stickler about it because it's in the IEP and you're "into" policy. Convey your appreciation for the 9 week updates but that you were expecting to be updated at more frequent intervals because that's what she had indicated, and that you were disappointed when this didn't happen. Just make it about expressing your reaction, how it impacted you.
    You could consider asking if, in lieu of the requested "homework," her updates to you could include detail such as descriptions of an aspect or two of the actual process (ongoing work or anything newer being introduced) that you could utilize at home in your support of your daughter's therapy. You could ask if she has a philosophical objection or some reservation about "work" at home.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• In addition to having these things put in the IEP, I wouldn't be waiting until the IEP meeting to take action. Every 5 weeks if you haven't received an update, or homework, I would send a polite note telling her you understand she's busy, but that you would like an update, and would like to be able to reinforce your daughters skills as detailed in the IEP. If you still don't receive updates and homework, I'd talk to the school counselor or the principal. (Who else attends your IEP?)

If this doesn't work either then I would contract the head of your school district's special ed department and tell them what is in the IEP, and how much it helped with the previous therapist, and that you would like the same now.

How is your daughter progressing with the new counselor?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• People don't know that they have way more rights than they are being told they have and generally go with what the school tells them because they think they have to. Not true. My oldest son was under an I.E.P. from the time he started school on. They put him under a psychological disorder to work him into an I.E.P. At age 13 he was diagnosed with A.D.H.D. At 15 he had a mental breakdown (due to the meds they were giving him for A.D.H.D.) and we discovered he has severe Bi-polar disorder. The school stopped trying to teach him, just set him at the back of the room to do nothing. In 10th grade, I discovered that he couldn't spell, write, do any math, etc... long story short. I got an attorney who told me that parents have all the power, but schools will make you think you don't. They ended up tutoring my son, taking him to Aims, etc...He is now able to stand on his own. The Superintendent is a good place to start.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 27, 2013

• If it is written in the IEP and Signed for the Start of a new school year. It MUST be followed. They have to follow it, or you can ask for a meeting every 5/9weeks to make sure you are getting what you want and what you feel your DD needs to meet her needs. Don't back down mom. I know getting a meeting when requested is NOT easy. But, after a while they will get tired of hearing from you about it. And, do what YOU want for YOUR kid. Hats off to you for taking a stand and wanting to see your child become the best she can. But, also BY LAW the school and S-T has to follow what is written and signed into an IEP. GOOD LUCK!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would make appointments to conference with her every 5 weeks.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2013