Should my parents keep this cat, give it away or just put it down??

One of my parents cat is around 3 years old and has the condition that crystals get caught in it's penis and it makes them sick. My parents pay ALOT of money each time to "unclog" the cat . The vet told them he might not be able to unclog the cat one day then they will have to put him to sleep before he dies or do surgery on him but not sure if that would help either. Has anyone had a cat with this problem and what did you do about it???
They are really thinking about getting rid of the cat since it is costing them so much money that they really need right now since my grandma is living with them and my dad's hours got cut.
They are animal lovers but they just can't afford to pay that amount of money each month . It happens every month plus the pills they have to give him .

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• i had a cat that had the same problem. are they giving him the special urinary tract formula food? its made by purina and its very affordable as far as special foods go. we started giving it to my cat and it helped him tons!! i hope the same works for yours! i can totally understand the battle with bills, that is such a hard question.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had a cat with the same problem and had to switch him to a new diet. He couldnt eat anything with fish in it AT ALL. Even dry food or fish flavored soft has real fish in it and when they make it they grind the whole fish up including bones and our vet said thats why it caused the crystals. See if they can stabilize the cat, change the cats diet and then decide what to do from there. I was told our cat would be dead in a week. He ended up living 12 yrs.

Answer by gemgem at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There should be special food that the cat can eat that will help with the problem. My MIL had a cat that had a lot of urinary problems and she put him on the urinary tract diet and he is now happy and healthy for 2-3 year now with no problems.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd try what the first pp said and if all else fails I'd get him put down..I don't think you'd find anyone that cares about a cat that much...There's just not many people like that. I wouldn't trust anyone else either.
    Anonymous

• To add to all the other diets that everyone said. my cat is on a special diet called C/D by Hills, and Sience diet. I only give him distilled water to drink as the tap water has calcium particals in it and that causes a lot of problems for him. We have done realy well will the diet and water change. Good luck to your parents, I can understand where they are coming from. At least my cat isn't on meds any more, but I make sure he gets the other diet to help prevent it.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Their cat their decision. Their wallet may decide for them, unfortunately.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Well first, I would honestly say put the cat down before just getting rid of it. A new owner may not treat the cat and it will suffer until it dies. Unless they KNOW the person, and the person realizes the health issues and is willing to treat them, which would be pretty rare.

The most important thing is yes, proper diet. Hills C/D is a special food for that. Also, the cat needs to be on bottled water because sediment in tap water is an attribute to crystals.

The surgery you are suffering to is a "PU" in which they basically turn a male penis into an opening that resembles a vagina. This WILL basically cure the cat, and they should do that if they can instead of dropping money constantly on having him unblocked. If I remember correctly from working at a vet's, the surgery was around 2 thousand dollars? Maybe not that much, but for some reason that figure pops into my head.

Your parents may want to look into pet insurance.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Have they tried putting him on special food to see if that helps, that would be the first step, but if that doesn't help, their best option would be to have something called a PU surgery done, it's a surgery where they actually remove the penis, so that the opening is larger, my cat had it done over 10 years ago and he is still alive and kicking(although not so much kicking at 18 years old) Before putting him to sleep i would see if a rescue group would take him to get him adopted out as "special needs", good luck, and i hope they don't put the kitty down,he's so young :-(
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• one of my cats has the same problem. it's due to their urine crystalising. tell them instead of letting the poor thing suffer through all those procedures and meds to get him some urinary tract health cat food.... it's easier on the cat AND the wallet.
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 5:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My kitty (pictured in my avatar) has this too. He eats a special diet for urinary tract health and has done really well on it. He hasn't had an episode in years. The thing with him that sucked was that we never realized he had something going on until the weekend and each time we ended up having to take him to the emergency vet which is about 4 times more expensive than the regular vet. Anyways, he's 14 now, so your parents cat can live a nice long time if they change his diet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009