I'm only allowed to gain 10 lbs?!

So I'll admit, I'm over weight. But with my last baby I gained 35 lbs and my ob/gyn told me that was an ok amount. I've switched over to a midwife for baby #2 and she tells me I'm only allowed to gain 10 lbs! From everything I've learned in the pregnancy books and classes from my last pregnancy I thought that you automatically gain around 10 lbs anyways from baby, extra blood, extra water, your boobs getting bigger, ect. So isn't 10 lbs a little extensive? 20 lbs I could live with. But 10?!! I guess my question is how much were you told you were "allowed" to gain during your pregnancy and how much did you end up gaining?

momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 2:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My midwife told me 15 pounds and I am overweight too. With my last pregnancy they told me 15-25 and I gained 28.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I was told to only gain about 15 pounds. I wasn't overweight but I am diabetic so I needed to be ultra careful. I ended up gaining 40 pounds (oops). But everything turned out just fine. Just be super careful about what you eat and trying to have a healthy lifestyle while pregnant.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• No one ever put a limit on what I could and couldn't gain. But with my second one I didn't gain anything (I was overweight to begin with) and actually lost weight with the third.
    Anonymous

• Every doctor is different but if youre overweight thats probably why. My dd was overweight with this pregnancy and is due March 12 and has actually LOST weight. Shes 20 lbs less then she was when she got pregnant and she said the same thing you did, hows it possible to gain only 10-15 lbs. Just watch what you eat and if you go over just understand thats just that much more you have to lose. I went overboard with my first as well, and with the rest gained around 20 lbs each.

Answer by gemgem at 2:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I doubt you'd gain much anyway so don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• my obgyn told me not to keep worrying about my weight just eat in small portions and think about other moms in other countries who dont have the luxury to be overweight and still deliver a healthy baby no matter what. It turns out i lost 35 lbs! Considering with my first i gained 100 - never going back there again.
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 2:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sounds a little harsh 10lbs? I was told that 20-30 was a healthy weight gain. My baby himself weighs 8.5 lbs now not including fluids and all that junk. I couldn't do 10 lbs. I've gained 22lbs and I thought that was low LOL.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• im overweight too, i was never given a strict limit though. my doc simply told me to be careful because of thee risks involved such as gestational diabetes and stuff. i actually lost 30lbs in my first trimester which rocked lol. and then i gained 25. as long as youre eating healthy and not using pregnancy as an excuse to eat everything in site then youre fine. doctors are more worried about people doing that then they are about the actual amount. they give you that very low limit so that you try harder to not gain too much. i know it seems weird but it does help. dont stress though!! if you gain 20lbs, youll be just as fine as if you gained 10. good luck and congrats!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• None ever put a limit on how much weight I gained. Like gemgem said It could be because you're overweight.
    LND

Answer by LND at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my midwife never told me such a stupid thing. Every woman is different. And as long as it wont kill you there is nothing to worry about.

i was overweight too when i got pregnant and still gained 80(!!!!)lbs. i know thats not good or anything. but im still alive ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009