How can I help him?

I have a 3 month old son. He came down with a stuffy nose this weekend,like he's had before. Last time my dr. said to put saline solution in his nose and run the humidifier . The saline solution seems to be working a little bit but he is still all stuffed up. Since we have a 30.00 co-pay every time we go to the dr. is there anything I can try before I go and make an dr. appointment?

LND

Asked by LND at 2:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had a stuffy nose at 3months n what i did was I proped him up when he was sleeping so that the snot would stay out of his nose, I got a little vaporiser (safe for babys), baby vicks, I also used the salen drops, n i sucked out his nose with the sucker alll the time!
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• theres honestly not much you can do. you dont want to put him on antibiotics for a stuffy nose, bc if you start that too early and do that too much he'll build up a tolerance to it. Just use the aspirator (the booger sucker as my DH likes to call it) and keep the humidifier going. you want him to build a good immune system, so the best thing you can do for him is to let his body fight the cold. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Breastmilk is probably the only other thing that can be used on an infant. Use breastmilk like you do the saline spray, up the nose. It works wonders! Also by breastfeeding you are lessening the effects and length of the illness.

Anonymous

• Prop up the head of his bed, use a warm mist humidifier, sit in a bathroom with him for about 15 min. and let the shower run as hot as it will go to get the room all steamy so he can breath better, use saline drops, Thats about all you can do, there is not much that you can do when they are this young. If he develops a fever or doesnt seem to be feeling better by a week, then I would take him in again. Sometimes when they are this young, they keep their colds longer, but hang in there.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I always just took my babies in the hot steamy restroom with me.....
    As well as (taboo I know) I did use vapor rub for babies !
    Poor little guy; I know it makes you feel sick too.....
    Good luck
    amandasrainbow

Answer by amandasrainbow at 7:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009