Starting a PTA/PTO ?

I have called my daughters school a few times, and also sent the school district a message reguarding if they had one already or how I could get one started if they didn't. None of my calls/emails have been answered. When I get the opportunity to actually go and talk to them I will....but for right now------> How do you start a PTA/PTO organization? Does the district have to approve? Does the school have to approve?

I've always just known schools to have them and because she's my first in elementary I wasn't familiar before with all the parenting side of schools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

CaliBlondeGirl

Asked by CaliBlondeGirl at 12:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The school and district would need to approve. I wouldn't put the cart before the horse just yet. See if they already have one established. If not, let them know that you are interested in starting one and getting involved. Find out which one would be best for your school. PTA and PTO both have websites. Bring the information to the school and let them decide. Once that is decided, they would know what to do on their end, and should help you as well on your end. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would think you could contact the national PTA/pto organizations and see if there is a local chapter. In our area, the parents of special needs didn't feel we were well represented in the school PTA's so we started our own septa (special education PTA). It is county wide and the schools did not have to approve, but that means we have to find other places to meet.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2013