Day camp?

Have any of you sent your kids to day camp in the summer? How old were they? Did they enjoy the experience? How much did you pay, and was it worth the money?

I got a brochure advertising twelve themed day camps, and I'm thinkin my daughter would enjoy going to a few of them, just so she isn't at home vegetating or counting on me to entertain her all summer. (Maybe there's a reason the brochure came out in the middle of Spring Break, when the thought of keeping a bored child happy at home for three months is the stuff of nightmares.) I'm thinking a couple of week-long structured camps spread throughout the summer might keep my daughter in the groove of school between the time pre-K ends and kindergarten starts. Each week includes swimming, a field trip to someplace like the museum, the aquarium, the planetarium, or an ice cream factory, and also music, arts and crafts, games, and math related to the theme of the week.

The thing is, each week-long camp is $185. I'm not sure if that's a good price, or if the benefit is worth that much. You know, the glossy brochure makes it all sound very grand. Obviously it's not a necessity, but would it be helpful, or is it just overpriced baby-sitting?

Please share your experiences.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• I was shipped off to day camp all summer as a kid. The first few years it was pretty fun, but it got boring fast. Doing the same thing week after week, but different themed. I was also 10 years old and older. For ME is was a glorified babysitter.

I did have fun though.

I think $185/week is reasonable. I don't remember what my dad paid for me for all summer, but he paid at LEAST that much.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My kids started day camp at 4. It was great for them and they loved it - it tired them out and they did different stuff than what we do at home. I paid between 100-200 for the camps. My oldest (15 yo) has autism and still goes to daycamp. One of his is 125/week, the other is almost 300/week. Big difference in service level! He can handle the cheaper one so that's where I send him.

Answer by missanc at 3:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My son has been going since he was 5 and has always enjoyed it from the variety of activiites, swimming and meeting new friends and seeing the old ones from the previous summer. He has been to Parks & Rec camps and YMCA.
    Both were around $600- $700/month but since I got divorced I applied for financial assistance with YMCA and last year paid around $500/month
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2013