Who uses Stevia vs Splenda etc.....

what makes Stevia better?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Stevia is a plant. In it's simplest form it is the best sugar alternative out there. When it's sold processed in either drops or in packets you have to read the ingredients to see what other stuff is in there. Some of it's fine, some isn't.

Splenda is an artificial sugar substitute. It is derived from sugar, but it is highly processed that it is no longer "natural." It has stuff with it that is not good for you. It can also be addictive and like aspartame, it can actually impede weight loss, if not cause weight gain.

I don't use either. If I need some sweet, I use either a small amount of sugar or some raw, unfiltered honey. I retrained my palette so I no longer have the sweet tooth I once did.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would rather deal with the calories and eat a small amount of real sugar than use any substitutes, although 've heard Stevia doesn't have the artificial taste of Splenda because it's from a plant and not as processed. Splenda tastes awful, and Aspartame triggers migraines for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I much prefer pure Stevia. As B-I states, it's worth the extra few bucks to make sure you're getting non-processed plant (or minimally processed). It's much sweeter than sugar and has a bit different taste initially but you quickly don't notice it.

Splenda, Equal, Sweet and Low are pure poison, imo. If I want something sweet that badly I'll take the 16 calorie hit and use raw sugar if given the choice
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Stevia causes infertility in men. It's the worst sweetener. Splenda is okay but I don't use any sweetener derivative too much. I don't use anything with aspartame in it. Natural is always the best. Zero calorie sweeteners aren't really zero calories. They're just marketed that way in small packets, but if you're using several packets, then it's the same calories as regular sugar. Also, studies have shown that Diet sodas cause weight gain. I really believed it when I saw my neighbor and my old high school teacher become overweight from drinking too much Diet Coke. Check out this cool website:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/artificial-sweeteners.html

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Never tried Stevia, but I do use Splenda on anything that needs to be sweetened

Answer by older at 4:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I do not use either. They are both poison. check this out:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/99571-dangers-stevia-raw/
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Stevia is natural.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• my mom uses splenda she won't use anything else.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I use Splenda, never tried Stevia. But I only use it on coffee tea, which means once a day tops. I'm not a big coffee/tea drinker.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• They both have a terrible after taste for me.....I prefer to use the real deal....sugar.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2013