My six year old got invited for the first time to a birthday party and I have a question

At birthday party's are parents supposed to stay at the party with the child or drop them off? I am not sure of proper etiquette lol may seem like a silly question but I didn't know.

When I was little I got dropped off for a couple parties no one ever stayed with me but I was like 8

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If I dont know the parents I would stay.

It doesnt hurt to call and ask.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes, it is a good idea to call and find out, because I would never leave my 6 year old at a house of people I did not know well....party or not...

Answer by older at 4:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• It depends on they type of party and how well you know the other parent(s).

My daughter and her best friend have birthday's 6 days apart. We did a combined birthday party for both girls (bad idea by the way) at our local roller skating rink. For that party, it really didn't matter if parents stayed or not. Many did, just to go skating with their kids, but some got dropped off.

If it's a party at a house I'd consider staying. I would also stay if I didn't know the hosting adults all that well.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I'd stay wherever it is.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Talk to the other parent... if you don't know them let them know you are going to stay until you feel comfortable. Don't expect them to entertain you if you stay and DON'T interfere with the party in any way.. hang back and watch... but remember not to step on the toes of the host - it's her show, not yours!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would call and ask.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I just hosted a birthday party for my five-year-old and didn't specify on the invitation whether parents were supposed to stay or not because it didn't matter to me. All but one parent stayed, which was fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Thanks ladies :) my husband knows the child's parents but I don't he might go with her while I stay at home with our youngest
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• At that age, I would be staying. Especially if I don't know them well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It really depends. At that age if I know the parents then I drop them off. If I don't know the parents I stay. When we have our parties most parents stay, but we do things like bowling or skating and the parents want to participate with their children. I make it clear on the invites that parents and siblings are welcome to stay at their own cost. I do usually have extra food and cake for them though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2013