How to handle school situation..my 1st grader told teacher she didnt feel well and wanted to call me and go home. She was told put your head we dont want to bother your mom. I 1 hour later got the call that she had an accident(poop) and needed to get picked up. The way it was handled after the fact was even worse but I will start here. Any advice or similar stories?

NevBell

Asked by NevBell at 4:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "I don't feel good" and "I need to use the bathroom" are two different things.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I personally think they should have called you. I would address it with the principle.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• The school nurse should have handled that once she said she didn't feel good.... I'd be up their asses about that one!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• After the fact was sent to office with another 1 st grader not adult... nurse was not there. Sent her to the bench outside withother student to wait for her grandfather because he was closer than to the school than I was. All the while in the mess which burnt her lil tush pretty bad. I am very anger
    NevBell

Comment by NevBell (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Asking to go to home and the incident was an hour apart
    NevBell

Comment by NevBell (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would call the teacher and get her version. There is always a middle ground in what our children or their teachers tell us and what actually happened.

Our school nurse always offers a couple of crackers, and a trip to the bathroom before mom is called. She is very gentle and experienced with ferreting out real tummy aches and the "I just don't want to be here today" ones. She also would never tell a child that they don't want to bother mom.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• A teacher should not be making the decision about whether to bother Mom or not. That comment alone would have made me unhappy, but sending the girl with another kid to wait in the office, no nurse, and no help to clean up after the accident would have me ready to rip off some heads and s**t down the exposed windpipes. Go get 'em, Mama! Start with the principal and work your way up from there if you have to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I go in tomarrow ... It breaks my heart, and angers me. Hope I can keep composed
    NevBell

Comment by NevBell (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• The teacher had to send another child w/ yours to the office, since she cannot leave the classroom. She should've had your child go to the bathroom if she's not feeling well. That's where I would send any kid complaining they don't feel well, since I hate being around vomit. :p If I were you, I'd ask the teacher exactly what happened & come up w/ a plan for the future. Like balagan said, there is probably a middle ground here somewhere. Hope your little one feels better soon.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I would probably be angry at first and then I would realize that I don't have the rest of the teacher's story and I would hold off on further anger until I had the other side. If your DD was feeling ill then they should have allowed her to go to the nurse to talk about what was making her feel bad. Other than that, the teacher also has other students that she has to pay attention to and she probably didn't have time to focus her attention on your DD and her not feeling well. Although, I would think this late in the year the teacher should have a grasp on what is normal and abnormal behavior for one of her students.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2013