Does worship=ego?

Would a god need people worshiping him to feed his ego? If a god is above and beyond human emotion, then why the need for worship?

If anyone desired to be worshiped, we'd accuse them of egotistical, narcisistic tendencies that border on sociopathic behavior. So, why do people so readily accept in their god? And not only accept it, but drool at the chance to fall on bended knee to this sociopath?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Religious Debate

• The need to worship comes from his followers not him......

Answer by older at 7:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• All good questions. A truly benevolent soul would be a humble one, not one that requires worship & would send those to hell, who do not, that's the behavior of a sociopath. You did not kneel down before me so, you must be punished, sounds like an abusive parent, not something that is "love".

But, fear is control, plain & simple.  

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• ITA 3libras.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• maybe it isn't that he needs it- but just that he's the boss and those are the rules he made (for whatever reason) obey them and be rewarded or don't
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• If anyone desired demanded to be worshiped, we'd accuse them of egotistical, narcisistic tendencies that border on sociopathic behavior.

I fixed it for you

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• thanks kristi;)
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• The need to worship comes from his followers not him....

Not entirely true. Read Isaiah. Not only does he demand worship but the manner in which one should worship him.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Those of you who don't believe have no idea why this is done, and I understand this totally but if you want to be respected for your believes do the same for others, If you have no believe why would it bother you so much if a religious persons tells you that you will end up in hell? You know your truth, I believe and I have been told this by others believers many of times, yet it doesn't affect me one way or the other because I know it isn't so and it won't be so no matter how many times I am told....

Answer by older at 7:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• sahmamax, you are one of my favorite people on this site, I have always enjoyed your post but calling someone else's God a sociopath is disrespectful, you are doing the same thing these believers do to you, when they disrespect your believes....

Answer by older at 7:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• sorry older....I guess we all have our limits.
    If he isn't a sociopath....then I guess it shouldn't bother anyone.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2013