How does it harm you, your religion, or your deity(es)?

If someone disagrees with an aspect of your religion and gives voice to that disagreement in what way does that change your personal beliefs? What tangible damage is done to your religion and/or church? Why are deities incapable of withstanding criticism (especially the ones that are described as all-powerful)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It doesn't affect anything.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Barney shrugs photo NPH-SHRUG.gif

I have never understood that either.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Can you imagine a god crying stomping around having a tantrum because someone doesn't think they are real or doesn't like how they do things lol

If I followed a deity that murdered, raped, was a sexist pig, made you sacrifice your first born and someone called him evil could I even get upset. If it walks like a duck quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck how can you call it a swan?

If my deity committed all of those crimes against humanity who am I to lie and say he does not have bad qualities or get upset when people say what he's done is evil. I may think those are okay and not wrong things to do but is someone who feels different really mean or disrespectful for having a different opinion.... I don't think so.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I'm always confused when people get so offended FOR god.
    Isn't he all knowing? Then my thoughts or others thoughts on him, he would already know. Being all forgiving....he'd already forgive us. Being all loving....he would be loving towards us.
    So why does everyone get their panties in a bunch?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Because God gets butthurt easily, NP!

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• It does no harm to my God or my beliefs whatsoever when my religion is criticized. Sometimes I'm personally offended by the way an opinion is expressed, but I'm quite sure God has bigger things to contemplate.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It doesn't!!! how does it harm an Atheist when a religious person tell them they will pray for them? or when they are told if they do not beleive they will go to hell? it doesn't it does it, but it sure aggravates them......

Answer by older at 7:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• No.  It doesn't aggravate me to be told that nonsense.  It aggravates me when people tell my kids these things.  There's a difference.  I don't want some ignorant stranger (or "well-intentioned" neighbor) creating doubt and insecurities in my children, any more than I'd want them to tell my kids they're fat, stupid or ugly.  Aimed at me, I can laugh at the idea.  Aimed at my children, and you're looking for a fight because you're bullying my kids.

However, an omnipotent god (that sometimes has the sensibilities of a human, sometimes not, depending on the conversation) should be well beyond feeling any injury by mocking or disbelief.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• No. It doesn't aggravate me to be told that nonsense. It aggravates me when people tell my kids these things

Personally, I have issues with both. WRT my child, nobody has the right to try and terrorize him into believing something he likely will not fully understand, whether it's religion or politics or something as simple as who he should or should not play with. For myself, since I have a religion I'm perfectly happy with, I consider someone insistent on trying to force me to live by the rules of their own an arrogant ass.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• NP, no one can force you to live by their rules, you can categorize them all you want but in the end no one is forced if they do not want to be.....try to get upset over things you can control not those you can't! all you can do is tell your child your views and eventually he will have his own regardless of who tells him what....

Answer by older at 10:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2013