Grinding teeth

My dds oth grind thier teeth when they sleep. Their dentist said there nothing I can do about it. Does anyone have any helpful tips. I though about asking the dentist can't they wear a mouth guard or something. They grind hard too. I'm afraid it's going to damage their teeth

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 10:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Health

• get a new dentist... and go to walmart and ask where the teeth guards are.. they have them for kids and adults
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yeah.. I'm surprised he didn't suggest teeth guards.. that's what they're made for. Stupid dentist.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Thanks do you think it would it be safe for a four year old?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• My husband and one of my sons grind their teeth in their sleep. My son doesn't do it all the time, and they're baby teeth so I don't worry as much about him. My husband wears a mouth guard every night so I don't strangle him in his sleep because of the noise.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• It does damage their teeth and the permanent teeth and that jaw (bite)
    This will also lead to other heath issues.
    Depending on their age the doctor can make a guard for thm. It is an icky process ad most kids strongly object after the first time. It has to be recast as the child grows. It is not inexpensive.

Personal experience
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Yes, I agree... Get a new dentist. A real dentist knows better. It definitely harms their teeth. A night guard will help. You can get one at most stores or order online if you need customized sizes. Most orthodontist offices have these, too. Mine gave me one for free when my teeth were grinding due to braces and shifting of teeth. They should probably see an orthodontist anyway to fix this problem. However, if they are very young and their adult teeth haven't grown in yet, it's probably more cost-effective to let them see the orthodontist when they're older since the baby teeth fall out anyway.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• They are almost 8 and 5 in may and June.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• If they have adult teeth, I'd look into mouth guards or they'll end up cracking their teeth and getting crowns down the road. Another way is to try things to de-stress them. I find this helps.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2013