Nothing like beating a dead horse, but will someone PLEASE explain to me about this?

How does insurance not 'KICK IN" or how can you be "WAITING ON INSURANCE" when you are pregnant, I am not being dumb, but you either are insured for pregnancy or you are NOT insured for pregnancy, so as far as I know, and I work in health care you are either covered from the time you become pregnant, or you are not covered, with my kids from the first visit to my OBGYN we worked out what my insurance would cover.
I now carry health insurance that does not include pregnancy, and as far as I know you can't go sign up for health insurance after the fact.
Are we talking about insurance, or something else.

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 10:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Pregnancy

• so why not go to the doctor, esp. if you are concerned about something? Comment by jerseydiva

Because it's easier to get on CM and ask a bunch of strangers for a diagnosis for a condition they have no way to diagnose (even if they were qualified to do so), instead of finding a Dr, making an appointment and waiting all of those days / weeks before they can get fit in to the schedule.  Of course, I'm just guessing at that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• A lot of the time, it's because there is a waiting period. When I was first pregnant with my youngest son, he had just gone through conductor training and had a 60 day waiting period until we were covered under railroad insurance. Our gap insurance didn't cover pregnancy, but after 60 days when our railroad insurance kicked in, they covered everything.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I always think this too, and it makes me wonder- Is this because you are not responsible enough to keep a job for longer than 90 days in order to keep and maintain health insurance?!?
    Parenthood lasts longer than 90 days, toots.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Another reason is that they want to update their plan to add maternity coverage, but you're only allowed to do that at certain times in the year. Also, they could be switching from one plan to another. Like if they were on her company's insurance that doesn't cover maternity, so they're switching to his company's insurance that does cover maternity. That's another thing they usually only let you do at certain times in the year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I was not on DH's insurance when we found out I was pregnant. It took about 2 months for the paperwork to go through, and they back paid everything, but until that happened, we had to pay it all out of pocket.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Bingo, QuinnMae.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• It's possible someone started a job and doesn't have insurance coverage yet. I would think that if they told their employer about the pregnancy that the insurance wouldn't want to cover for that? Or she is afraid that she will lose her job within the probation period of her employment? IDK, those things just come to mind, but I don't know about her specific situation (wasn't reading closely enough to know).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• It is new insurance, whether employer funded, or stated funded. In Michigan, basically any uninsured or underinsured pregnant woman will qualify for Medicaid with looser restrictions on income.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Oh, and you can get maternity coverage paying out of pocket even after you've become pregnant...they charge you to the point it makes more sense to pay cash, but they will issue it LOL!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• but as some of you stated, it would pay back everything once I suppose the pregnancy was covered, so why not go to the doctor

Because not everyone has $400 cash lying around for a new patient visit and lab work.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2013