If the "sanctity of marriage" needs to be protected, why isn't divorce illegal?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I 100% agree, I am sure divorce has done more damage to children, then same sex marriage ever will, do I think divorce should be against the law, nope, but same sex marriage shouldn't be either.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I think some of the narrow minded folks who are against same sex marriages are afraid they might learn what an 'actual' marriage is really supposed to be like. You know, love, honor, and obey in sickness and in health...Someone just might learn something.....*gasp*
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• A lot of people fought hard to make divorce legal so that people, especially women, wouldn't be trapped in unworkable marriages.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• the (really lame) excuse ive heard is that divorce does destroy the sanctity of marriage, but its not worth the fight to try to make it illegal. those types think gay marriage will further destroy the sanctity of marriage. i dont think its a valid reason tho.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I think people need to remember that "holy matrimony" and "marriage" are not the same thing.

Marriage is a legal contract and referring to its "sanctity" is absurd.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:06 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Most people do not see marriage as a religious "holy matrimony " thing any more.  It is more a legal thing now days.  Benefits of marriage. That is whysame sex marriage couples want it.  For the benefits. 

I say give them the right to marry. Then they have to legally divorce, just like us.

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Because marriage has no sanctity if it makes your life a living hell!

Answer by older at 7:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2013