Mostly a vent about an unfair teacher

So, I am taking courses from two different schools at the same time just because it's cheaper at one school to get some of the prerequisites completed. The teacher for this one class wrote on my comments for a paper that I turned in that there were "many grammar and spelling errors throughout." I personally proofread the paper like at least 10 times and spellchecker doesn't show any spelling errors.

So, out of curiosity, I asked an English teacher from my other school to read the paper, and he could not find ANY grammar or spelling errors. He thought it was very well written.

I'm so frustrated because the same teacher that wrote these absurd comments also randomly took points off another assignment before without any good reason. When I double-checked that assignment and asked her why (since she left no feedback whatsoever), she said she couldn't remember why (?????!!!). She reviewed the work again and ended up giving me back the points. I am starting to feel though that with this trend, that she is discriminating against me. I will still end up with a good grade in this class, but I had to fight every single grade due to these random points off that always ended up being "accidental." She's so sloppy and always refers us to the Internet and Wikipedia! Would you think this was some kind of bias against you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2013 in

• I would ask her to go over the paper again and mark the errors.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• refers us to the Internet and Wikipedia

Wiki is not always a good source.  She sounds lazy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I could see why, she is the sloppy one, unprofessional...I'd probably speak to someone about it privately at your school.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• OMG we were always advised NOT to use Wikipedia. I would watch all your work closely because it seems as if she isn't at all, which is b.s. cuz it's your G.P.A that will be effected by it. I say keep calling out her errors and questioning her. Then if you need to go to someone else about it she can't deny knowing it's been an ongoing thing.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I do not know about your school but many of the teachers hav TAs and they check a lot of the work that is turned in. I can not say that this isthe case. I can not see that she is discriminating against you unless you are the only one who has had errors on their corrections and more than twice. That could simply be a coincidence. You would also have to be sure that the other students go back and check to be her corrections are accurate as well.
    Teachers tend to automatically protect their TAs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• I'd be on her, keep a daily log if other issues arise.

sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Thanks Dardenella, but she doesn't have a TA. I've been reading comments online from other students at this school that have the same problem not only with her but with other teachers being just as sloppy. She takes about a week to respond to emails if she does at all or else you just have to keep following up with her to get her to respond. When it's urgent (i.e., she hasn't replied to anyone's emails and the deadline is near) and we call her to clarify something, she doesn't even know her own assignments, and we have to read the assignments to her.

Why pay for a college education when Wikipedia is the answer to everything, right? Well, I guess I won't be returning to this school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2013

• Lazy, definitely. Biased, the jury's still out. Others are having the same problems with the teacher, so she's not out to get you personally. But she may be harde on you because you've complained. If you'll still end up with a good grade in the class, I'd just keep careful tabs on your homework and call her on it if she doesn't mark errors when she takes off points. Then complain in your anonymous evaluation, which most college classes have at the very end, or go higher up once your grade has been turned in and can't be changed. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I don't see anything in anything you say that would indicate discrimination to me. I see where she is lazy and unprofessional, and even sloppy. I see that what she is doing is not good for your grade, but I don't see it as biased or grounds to complain of discrimination. I would just finish out this class, continuing to fight any grade you feel isn't fair, and when the class is over, I'd go to the dean (or whoever is in charge of her) and complain about how she was during the class.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Most likely she does this with everyone, not just you. I would agree that she is lazy and unprofessional. Continue to fight for your grades. I would write to the head of the department when the class ends. Along with the fantastic teachers are the ones who should not be in the class room. GL with your studies.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2013