My 4you asked me how babies get into mommys tummie. What did you say? And how old was your kid when they asked?

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 12:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• My 3 year old has kind of asked about that. He's just all kinds of confused about how his little brother is in my belly and will soon come out. I... well, I just kind of dodged it for now. Told him that he started out as a very very small part inside me and I'm growing Baby Brother. That this is something that only mommies can do - little kids and daddies can't grow babies in their tummies. I was ready to use a plant analogy since he's learning that plants grow from seeds, but he stopped asking at that point. I feel a little guilty for completely ignoring Daddy's role in this but we'll cover that later.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• "The way mammals make babies is an egg in the woman is fertilized by a sperm from a man, and that fertilized egg grows into a baby." Please note that my kid, even at four, was an animal geek.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• My daughter was three, or maybe just barely four. Perhaps it was a cop-out, but I told her God put babies inside their mommies to grow till they were ready to be born. It satisfied her; we'll cover the juicier details when she's a little older.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Yea, at 4 best to just dodge the questions. If you do say something. You do not need to be technical.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Eggs & "seeds."
    My daughter's 1st question was NOT how babies get in there, but about periods. This came from observing blood in the toilet & seeing me dealing with it. (Same with my toddler sons.)
    So that was the first "lesson," just answering (very simply) what the blood was, that it doesn't hurt, it's not from an injury, and it just comes out of me for a few days each month. My kids have all taken this info to heart. For my boys, it seemed "enough." Eventually, my oldest (my daughter) thought to ask "Why?" and I supplied her with more information, very simple & direct, but honest. (That each month a woman's body gets ready to support a possible pregnancy. An egg matures in her each month, and if it got fertilized, it would grow inside her to be a baby. What function the blood would serve in the beginning IF that happened, but it's not needed so it comes out this way, then the process repeats.) So she knew those basics at 4.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• When DS was 3, his best friend at daycare explained to him in graphic detail where babies come from (he had a new baby sister). He got all the facts correct, so I asked DS if he had any other questions, and at that point, he didn't. It didn't come up again until he was 7 or 8, and we had to clear up the whole kissing means you're married thing.

I don't see much point in lying about it just to straighten it out later. I got him a copy of this when he was 5, the same book I had when I was in kindergarten, and that probably answered a lot of questions he might have had before he thought to ask them.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• my daughter came up with her own story. she said i got her and her brothers in my belly bc i ate an egg.. you cant see the egg bc its so small and only moms eat them.. also bc i only have c sections she has no idea where they really come out.. at 5 i dont think she needs to.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2013