Do you let your kids use hand sanitizer?

Today is doing a story on it this morning, and how the over-cleanliness people are promoting (including anti-bacterial everything) is creating superbugs and impairing children's immune systems. I have a fight every new school year with DS's teachers, explaining that I don't want him using it, and that he knows how to wash his hands. His school supply list includes sanitizer for the class every year, and we never send it.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• they don't really ever use it...I don't buy it for the house or anything though I think I got them tiny bottles to put in their backpacks last year-not sure if they were ever used though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• *and I have heard before how hand sanitizers and antibacterial soaps are ...too much of a good thing
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Sometimes. For example, if we're at the park, and we're having lunch after they've been playing, I have some hand sanitizer in the car for them to use. There's no bathrooms at the parks we like the most, and my kids like to play with lizards, so I want their hands clean before they pick up a sandwich. But in general, they just use soap and water. To me, hand sanitizer is for those rare instances when soap and water isn't an option.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• The only place I have sanitizer is in the car before they eat or after they've dumped the trash because that's probably the one place where they can't wash their hands. Otherwise it's soap and water.

Sanitizer is not allowed in my children's schools.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Not often. He knows how to wash his hands so unless there is no restroom nearby we don't use it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• they use it sometimes but not on a daily bases.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Sanitizer is not allowed in my children's schools.

I wish that was the case in ours - it feels almost like they're teaching them not to bother with soap, just to use Purell before they do anything.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• We do not use it at home or anywhere else.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I do but, we don't go overboard. I send it to school but, unless my kids have been at a petting zoo or something like that, we don't use it. I don't walk around with it or make sure everything is sanitized. If I'm worried about germs, I'll have my kids wash their hands.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• If there's a public restroom that does not have proper hand-washing accommodations (parks, etc) then we use sanitizer. At our local zoo's main restroom they have two sinks to several stalls and you always have a line at the sinks and then a longer line at the hand dryers, so more often than not I'll just squirt some sanitizer on our hands and we're out the door. Also at things like petting zoos or if DD is around a friend that is coughing all over her (like yesterday...ugh), I will keep her supplied with it.

Most handwashing soaps are anti-bacterial...is that considered better than the sanitizer?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2013