Can weight be a factor in not concieving?

My husband and I have recently had a miscarriage. We have been trying for about 4 years to get pregnant. I had heard that weight can be a big factor in getting pregnant and staying that way. I am about 5'11" and weigh about 190 a little large for my liking and i would also like to add that all women are beautiful no matter how big they are its just not right for me. I am sorry if anyone thinks i am bashing weigh believe me im not. but I was wondering if that could be part of a problem

Tears99

Asked by Tears99 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes it could be. weather your to thin or to fat.
    Have you went to the doctor and seen if you or your DH have other problems?

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yup, it totally can be.

I was heavy when I got preggo, so it does happen but it's better not to be obese (which I am).

No worries about bashing - you're being honest.

I am sorry for your loss. Does your doctor have any advice - four years is a long time to be trying. How old are you?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm sure weight played a role in my fertility issues when trying to conceive my twins (took a year and a half). If I try again, I want to get down to a normal weight first so it may be easier.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My sister and brother in law have had problems for a long time. She went in to get tested, and everything was fine with her. They decided they must need to test my brother in law, who is very overweight. He walked in the door, the doctor said "I don't need to test anything. You MUST lose weight."
    Anonymous

• I asked my doctor the same question. I'm 5'8" and was at about 175 at the time. She told me that it didn't really concern her at that point, but she also told me that even very small weightloss can have a very positive impact on your health, which can in turn affect on your fertility. She told me that losing as little as 5% of my weight was enough to be beneficial. I lost a few pounds, but ended up gaining it all back during treatment for my thyroid before I got pregnant.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure I have never been this big when trying to have a baby. I'm 5'5 and 190lbs. I need to lose weight before I get pregnant. That's my goal before I get pregnant.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i read on yourdays.com that as long as your bmi is under 30, you should be fine
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009