Ewwwww how often do you clean surfaces like this?

The funeral for my husbands aunt was yesterday so we drove the 2hrs to his parents house. I had no problem staying with all the kids while the adults went. My sister in laws 4th child is near my sons age and my mother in law got us both that blue walker with the aliens on it from a neighbor that had twins.

I wouldn't put my kid or hers in it to eat!! We both use them for feedings and o...m...g. The spots all over the fabric part caught my eye. I knew it looked grungy but was shocked to see little MOLD spots on it when I got closer! Plastic parts of it had dried baby food on it. I tore it a apart. Scrubbed the fabric in the tub with laundry soap and bleach then scrubbed down the rest of it. Put the fabric in the washer to run through then hung it to dry.

I put it back together before she got to my inlaws to get the kids and she says "oh you didn't have to bring your walker. I brought mine to moms so they'd both have one to use." She didn't even recognize it. I told her I found alot of food on it so I cleaned it up. Her response was "I never clean it cuz I figure she's going to get it dirty again anyway." WTF? I'ts food! A 10 month old was touching mold then putting her fingers in her mouth!

She doesn't always have her kids cleaned up either so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She'll let them go to bed in clothes that have juice spilled on it and then not change their clothes in the morning before they go somewhere. They'll have snot in their hair or smeared all over their face and she just lets it there.

I mean I know people can get distracted and not notice things but come on. I don't know it just still baffles me so I needed to tell someone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Kids' Health

• That's gross. Basic cleanliness shouldn't be that hard to manage. The way you described the kids going around in dirty clothes or with goobers in their hair makes me think your sister-in-law is pretty lax. That being said, when my daughter was a toddler, I lost track of a sippy cup a handful of times and then would find it in a toy pile at some later date and just shudder. So now and then, gross does happen to us all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Well then, why bother with laundry? I mean, those clothes will just get dirty again. Just take them outside and hose 'em off.

Your nephew is lucky to have someone that cares enough to make sure he's not eating mold.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Wow. I admit, sometimes it feels like a waste to clean something when I know it will get dirty again in no time, but I'd still be cleaning it. That's just gross.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Wow that is disgusting poor kid.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:07 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I admit that sometimes I feel like why bother- but when they were little and a lot messier- I cleaned all that kind of stuff. Not like every day necessarily, but relatively often- that's just disgusting

some people are just not as ...clean as others and it is mind boggling to me how they can live like they do
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• nasty...i never fed my kids in their walker but i still wiped it down with clorox wipes twice a week, scrubbed as needed. their high chairs got a good scrub down right after they ate (well, after they got a bath).
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Hell, I could use that justification to avoid cleaning my whole house! Why bother, if it's just going to get dirty again? No laundry, no dishes, no vacuuming, no putting anything away ...

Yeah, and then they'd be making a reality TV show about the way the disgusting half lives.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Ew! I put the fabric seat of my sons bouncer at least once every couple weeks, and as needed in between. The plastic snaps that held it in place actually started to strip. I don't understand people that let their kids run around dirty. Only time I don't worry too much about it is the hour between dinner and bath time.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Gross. I bet she never cleans the kids diaper either. Bet the baby has a roaring rash. Very sad. I'm a clean fanatic!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• She cleans their diaper but one thing she does is wear the same size on her 1 yr old and her 2yr old to save money. The 2 yr old's is too small
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2013