Speaking of cherry picking.... adult content

Cherry picking the bible

Debate away..... Also those feel free to add more.  Why is cherry picking okay? Why is okay to follow ome thing and not the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Why is cherry picking okay?

Fear. It's safer to cherry pick than to admit a religion might be wrong. That's slowly changing, but some places will take far longer than others for it to be socially acceptable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I've asked this several times and never got a straight answer. Good luck!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• because they can?

some denominations/ people are worse than others with it...

You will hear about how old testament no longer applies...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Hypocrisy seems to be the common denominator though doesn't it? With the exception of very few.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• people want to come off as perfect. and if they pick what is ok then they are perfect ...
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I don't see it as cherry picking. I see it as reading those verses in context and reading what comes before and after those verses to understand what God is trying to say. The whole and complete Bible rather than picking out random verses here and there.
    Even in my highschool English class picking some random quotes out of books didn't assure my teacher we has read and had a full understanding of the entire book.

Answer by missanc at 10:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I see it as reading those verses in context

I would counter that the vast majority of Bible believers don't have the first clue what context most of it was written in, based on how proud so many of them are in bragging about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• You will hear about how old testament no longer applies...

I roll my eyes every time I read that on this site. If it's no longer applies then why is it part of the religious text at all? That's like saying the first half of a science book is dedicated to false beliefs & claims. Or, the first half of a history book is a made up history. Which, yeah (LOL) I can see how that applies to the Bible. But, if the first part isn't accurate, what makes the 2nd part reliable? CHERRY PICKING.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Cool... More ignorance
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2013

• "I don't see it as cherry picking. I see it as reading those verses in context and reading what comes before and after those verses to understand what God is trying to say. The whole and complete Bible rather than picking out random verses here and there. "

Exactly. Which is really why the cherry picking is done by those who nitpick at the Bible, find a couple of verses that don't sound right to them and make these clever little lists of "hypocrisies" without ever bothering to educate themselves into what they mean.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2013