Do any of you feel like I do in this?

We all know about those Jehovah's witness that come uninvited to knock on your door to tell you about their faith, right? we all find it annoying as hell don't we? well, although I too find it annoying, I have to give credit where credit is due, it takes a lot of commitment and personal passion to walk the miles and miles in the rain or snow to go knocking door to door, to spread their message,  often getting the doors slamed in their faces, their message most of the time is not welcomed......I have great respect for these people for doing what they think should be done, regardless of me not agreeing with it, how about you?

Asked by older at 1:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

Level 68 (2,194,269 Credits)
  • I have two ladies that come every once in a while. They've been coming for over 6 years. They know I am not interested but we chat at the door for a while when they come. Mostly about what's new in our families. Then she'll read a scripture. I don't have a problem with it. I feel lighter when they leave. They know I won't convert but still come anyway. I have been clear on that. I like the visits since I'm home so much with the kids. No big deal to me.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I turn them away, but politely, because I've thought before that it takes a lot of grit to keep going out, day after day, regardless of the weather, knowing you won't be well received or even treated with manners at most houses where you knock.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I respect that they feel so strongly about their beliefs. I don't appreciate when they are so persistent that they won't leave when I've asked them to, or insist on trying to force one of their pamphlets into my hand when I've said I don't want one. I respect them, like I said, but I'd respect them more if they would immediately leave when told "I'm not interested, but thank you for trying."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I respect them, but I expect them to respect me when I say I'm not interested.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I agree. That's why I never turn our JW away. She comes every week, lol, and I enjoy discussing with her. She knows I believe differently, but we seem to enjoy hearing each others opinions. So I don't mind at all to share an hour with her once a week. She's sweet and respectful. And I know what it's like, being the "wrong" sort of Christian, and I can only imagine what they get faced with - doors slammed in their face, rude comments about how wrong they are, etc, etc. So I feel like it's important to reach out and show respect and kindness. Honestly, I adore the lady who comes to talk, and most of the others she brings with her. I might not always agree with her interpretation, but I do really like talking with her. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I respect them as people, but not for their beliefs, any more than I respect terrorists for theirs.  Now, be careful in your interpretation of what I wrote.  That does not mean that I equate JWs with terrorists.  It simply means that I don't find any merit in their faith, any more than I do the faith that causes terrorists to give up their lives in expectation of rewards after death.  In fact, I see nothing virtuous in faith, especially that which defies logic.  Is that insulting?  I hope not, because I'm being honest.  We've had some interesting discussions when they've come to my door.  I'm polite and engaging with them.  Still, I don't respect what they're doing.  I think it's silly - but I can still respect the person and be kind to them, even while I debate with them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Presented with the following:
    A person who undergoes dangerous surgery and gives up bone marrow for a complete stranger
    A person who walks for 3 days to raise money for cancer research
    A person who gives up their retirement to raise someone else's child(ren)
    A person who walks door to door recruiting for a church because the church tells them it's required

What is so amazing about the 4th person on the list?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I use to enjoy the couple that would come to our home weekly for discussions. They have moved away and now its just my neighbor stopping by with the brochures and looooongg talks.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I respect their commitment. I know I wouldn't be out there doing that. But the issue I have a problem with is they aren't doing it to benefit me, or you, they are doing it to secure their place in the heaven they believe in... At least that's what one told me. So, if they are out there for themselves only, I'd appreciate it if they didn't bug me.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I don't respect them at all! I hate those arrogant assholes and will verbally abuse ANY door to door solicitors WITH THE EXCEPTION of those selling Girl Scout Cookies or "band candy".
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2013